Spy 5000M Alarm On Vfr

OGBiker

Since my 03 R1 was stolen I have given more attention to security. I am installing the Spy 5000M motorcycle alarm on my 05 VFR. Checking if anyone has used the Spy 5000m Motorcycle alarm on their VFR - Looks good to me. Check the video link below. Any other alarms recommended? Any install info is appreciated.

http://wn.com/spy_mo...e_alarm#/videos

• Member Contributer

Looks good........ The main thing is to have it page you.......

Before it's already gone in the back of a van..

I thought about an alarm, and decided to invest in a bike cover and a big chain and lock. Anywhere questionable, and it would be locked onto something with the cover on.

Looks good........ The main thing is to have it page you.......

Before it's already gone in the back of a van..

I thought about an alarm, and decided to invest in a bike cover and a big chain and lock. Anywhere questionable, and it would be locked onto something with the cover on.

I had an 03 Yamaha R1 that was not locked stolen and two of my Club members had their bikes stolen while they were locked to a pole with a Kryptonite lock and Faugetaboutit Chain. I have a chain and lock, Xena alarm disc lock, and an alarm now. Nobody should be able to get that close to my bike, sit on or anything without the alarm going off.

• Member Contributer

It's a cool toy.

Install it if it makes you feel better.

There are three drawbacks to motorcycle alarms.

1 - They draw power and you are running a risk of having a flat battery if you don't ride for a while

2 - They don't deter theft or vandalism. In fact, I can picture a scenario when someone would touch the bike out of curiosity, get startled by the proximity alarm and kick the bike over out of... whatever...

3 - They cost money.

I have the same alarm for more than 2 years now & I'm very happy with it. The thing is that you can switch on & off the proximity sensor from the remote (which have a very good range - just place the antenna under the instrument cover because is away from the bigger metal parts) and also you can adjust the sensibility from the module (I've placed it under the seat because most people, when approaching the bike, are first getting near the seat, also the sensor can be adjusted so that it can even get triggered by rain drops - see it in this picture near the rear brake reservoir with a piece of red tape covering the adjusting screw from jet wash water drops: ). The main components - alarm body & the siren - I've placed them on the right side under the fairing glued to the ECU: this way it's difficult to reach & also near impossible to silence the siren (foam is the easiest & faster method).

Yes it will drain the battery if you keep the proximity sensor on for long periods of stand still. That's why, if you can manage, either use it only when you go out since you still have the shock sensor (adjustable in 5 stages from the remote) or, as I did, make a connection to charge (a small smart motorcycle designated charger will do) the bike when you get home. Check out the two wires going to the bike in this picture:

The advantages of having the alarm are great: you can monitor the bike without seeing it; it cannot be started if you install it properly; since I believe you don't have HISS in US you can start & stop the engine remotely (good for cold weather situations or when there is an attempted start by either stolen key or contact wires cutting); etc.

I do not agree with the people saying that an alarm is useless anyway in the face of professional thieves. I do not deny it either, but most problems are made by amateurs or people who just want to "look" how cool they would look on a bike - if no fuss is made than they may want to do more than look. I had this situation countless times. When I catch the guys (never happen to see a woman getting close to the bike without permission) they all reply "I just want to look!" & my answer is "Yes, that's fine but do it from the distance not to disturb the alarm." Most of them were normal looking people but some of them were not - and in my country bikes get stolen a lot.

In conclusion I recommend it or any other alarm with similar capabilities.