Looking for advice on a rear stand (paddock)

All,

I'm trying to find a stand that will work on my 09 BMW K1300S and my 1992 VFR. Both have the swingarm on the same side so it should be possible in theory, Since I'm in the US I'm trying to buy from a US domestic reseller.

I think I may have found a solution but wanted to see i anyone has used this option. The PitBull one armed rear will fit the BMW and they offer a pin for the Honda single sided swing arms, the problem is I assume they have fit the pin for late model VFRs. They don't specify any date/build/model range for the pin though. Anyone using the PitBull on their VFR (3rd gen)? And, before you ask, no, I have a California model VFR, completely stock and still have the expansion chamber, so no center stand.

thanks in advance!

-Richard

• Member Contributer

The breakdown is:

• Honda VFR 400 (NC30), VFR 750 (RC30) & RVF 400 (NC35)
  • Honda VFR 750 (RC36), RVF 750 (RC45) & VFR 800 (RC46)

FYI, the center stand fits the California model, too. I had one on my CA-spec '90 FL with the stock headers. The installation instructions are buried in my Web site somewhere.

Ciao,

I ended up contacting Pitbull to verify with them if it would fit, they say that all the models of the VFR prior to the 1200 use the same pin, so it looks like it will work. Time to order the stand, now I just have to decide if I want the front or rear handle option... thinking of front to reduce the garage footprint...

-Richard

• Member Contributer

now I just have to decide if I want the front or rear handle option... thinking of front to reduce the garage footprint...

I have the Pitbull rear stand that I use on my 4th gen VFR & also on my Hawk GT.

I had a similar thought - front handle to reduce the overall footprint - so that's what I ordered. I have no experience with the rear handle stand, but I do find the front-handle stand kind of "tippy" at times when I put it up on the stand; I find that I wish I had ordered the rear handle instead.

Just my $0.02.

Good luck,

Ron

• Member Contributer

Hmm. I have the rear-handle stand and keep tripping on the handle! Can't win, I guess...

Ciao,

CAreful - you might want to recheck with Pitbull on the rear pin sizing. I bought their trailer mount system this past MAy - and it doesn't fit the 8 spoke rim I have - I have to change my rear tire to the 02' stocker when I want to use the Pit bull system.

I also have the Pitbull paddock rear stand - and it works great.

• Member Contributer

The paddock stands don't touch the wheel in any way, so it wouldn't make any difference. The trailer mount system passes through the wheel, no? That may account for the difference, although I'm not sure why. My Harbor Freight balance adapter fits both my 5 and 8 spoke wheels...???

Oh, and of course I have a rear handle Pit Bull stand for my '99. I gave my old stand to the Carver Clan and it fit my and their various 5th gens as well as their 3rd. So the pin size is the same. It's a Two Bros, I think.

Well, I'm committed at this point, I have a UPS tracking number and the stand and pin are on their way. I'll let you all know if it's tippy and verify that it fits the VFR (and BMW) incase anyone else is interested. If it's a little tippy, that should be ok as I'm only using the stand to get the bike upright so it sits between the garage door and my car better and change the rear tire (and clean) when needed. I don't really expect to have anyone bumping it as long as it's mostly stable.

-Richard

The paddock stands don't touch the wheel in any way, so it wouldn't make any difference. The trailer mount system passes through the wheel, no? That may account for the difference, although I'm not sure why. My Harbor Freight balance adapter fits both my 5 and 8 spoke wheels...???

Oh, and of course I have a rear handle Pit Bull stand for my '99. I gave my old stand to the Carver Clan and it fit my and their various 5th gens as well as their 3rd. So the pin size is the same. It's a Two Bros, I think.

My apologies - you are correct. Shouldn't post from work, without ready access to look at the bike! The Trailer system passes through the centre of the wheel and the hub of the swingarm - I know for a fact that those pins for the wheel side are NOT the same for all years. The Pitbull paddock stand goes into the hub.

Sorry if I confused this for ya!

• Member Contributer

If it's a little tippy, that should be ok ... I don't really expect to have anyone bumping it as long as it's mostly stable.

Whoops! I may have given the wrong impression in my earlier post.

I meant to say the following (but I probably didn't say it quite right - and before someone else finds this thread 6 years from now, let me set the record straight):

With the front-handle pitbull rearstand, once it is up on the stand, it is nice & stable. (No worries. Good stuff.)

It is during the transitional period of putting the VFR up on the rear stand that it is a little "tippy". Note that my Hawk goes through the same thing on the same rear stand, but to a lesser extent (which makes sense - the Hawk has less mass).

Does that help?

I still love my pitbull stand, and I recommend it when anyone asks about a rearstand for a bike with an SSSA.

Ron

(disclaimer: yes, I own 2 pitbull stands.)

Archived