Wheel alignment for fitting CBR 600 wheel to 86 VFR

Guest Ratty

Hi Guys,

I am currently fitting CBR 600 F3 wheels to my 1986 VFR 750 and I have a spare swing arm which I am using to set everything up on.

However on checking the centre distances on the bike which is currently fitted with the original wheel, I find the wheel is slightly off centre and about 5mm closer to the right fork than it is to the left fork of the swing arm.

Is this normal? or is something out of alignment on the bike?

It make sense to me that the wheel centre should be equal distance between the two arms but I may be wrong.

Before I start laser aligning stuff, can someone check their bike and comment.

If you have done this conversion before, I'd like your input.

• Member Contributer

I have the CBR F2 wheel mounted on mine, and there was some machine work done to make brake rotors work with the fork spacing on the VFR, also I think the speedo drive was machined down to work. Does the F3 have the front speedo drive for the VFR speedo? That might be part of the offset was to make room for it, it is on the left side of the bike (left while sitting on the bike).

• Member Contributer

Ray - I can totally help you out with that. I just replied to your email with details. Just a follow up to your post here, the wheel centerline is not equal distance between the two swingarm legs. The right side of the swingarm is further away.

This is a great mod for your bike!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the response.

Jamie, Thanks for your email - I answered it before I checked the responses here, so I have also replied to your email.

I'm glad I checked with you guys, as my logic was telling me to centralise the rear wheel between the swingarm legs and I would have had some serious handling issues with an offset rear wheel!

• 1 month later...

Currently stock, but you can see in the second photo of me milling the f2 front wheel, about 2 hours per side to do it right. It would be faster if I had a jig to hold it better. 5.5 mm per side for the disc post. Stupid bit jumped and scratched the paint some. I should have the front wheel on this weekend and ill be ordering the spacers from Jamie Monday. I picked up a twin clicker that needs to be modified, mean time ill run a shabby ohlins until I get the fox overhauled. Then I'll get the ohlins overhauled and keep as spare.

post-26363-0-29824200-1353741964.jpg

post-26363-0-79400000-1353742329.jpg

If you swap the entire front end/triples from a CBR600, you don't need to mill the wheel.

And, you get the benefit of 41mm forks, as opposed to the VFR's 37mm soda straws, which BTW, are 2 mm skinnier than the 1983-1985 VF750's are.

If you swap the entire front end/triples from a CBR600, you don't need to mill the wheel.

And, you get the benefit of 41mm forks, as opposed to the VFR's 37mm soda straws, which BTW, are 2 mm skinnier than the 1983-1985 VF750's are.

Yeah I thought about it, but I really like the upright riding position and I have risers on it now. I'd have to find some Hawk clip ons which is near impossible, and the F2 forks are NOT cartridge forks and I'd still have to put emulators in. Also you have to mill the triples, press out the stem, press it back into the CBR one, then weld it. I'm going to install emulators, springs, and a brace. It should perform well enough my riding now. If not, I'll just get a BMW S1000RR <<<<< NOT! :) As if anybody can afford one of those! Seriously though I use the old RZ for stupid activities, and the Viffer as a commuter and weekend touring ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived