Red touchup for 6th generation?

Guest Michelangelo

Guest Michelangelo

yes i've searched, yes I've read a bunch of posts.

I'm trying to find a small bottle or pen of touchup paint for my red 2002 6th generation that doesn't required a basecoat. Ideas?

• Member Contributer

yes i've searched, yes I've read a bunch of posts.

I'm trying to find a small bottle or pen of touchup paint for my red 2002 6th generation that doesn't required a basecoat. Ideas?

ColorRite

Please note that this link is for Italian Red (R157) which is correct for a 2003, and I think for a 2002.

• Member Contributer

I would not recomment ColorRite.

I have one of their bottles of Italian Red and it doesn't match the origonal Honda color - It is lighter and enough to be noticable.

• Member Contributer

I would not recomment ColorRite.

I have one of their bottles of Italian Red and it doesn't match the origonal Honda color - It is lighter and enough to be noticable.

And yet on mine, it's a great match... Weird.

• Member Contributer

Two comments:

1. My information says to create a perfect repair, a clearcoat is needed. YMMV.

2. One of the problems with 10-11 year old R157 paint is that the red has been affected by UV light and has shifted. The good news is that the shift follows a geometric progression (a lot of shift up front and less as time progresses), and the match will improve with time. My touch up work from early 2011 looks much better after 2 riding seasons in the central plains. (It would look even better if my skills were up to snuff!)

I ended up ordering a bottle from the dealer. Hopefully it matches well. I'm touching up a portion on the front tank mounting tab so it's kind of out of the way.

Archived