Removing the Servo Motor & cable on Baffle Plate

crazybrother

• Member Contributer

OK, so I've made some progress in removing the servo motor. I did a little research and tore apart the servo and this is what I found. It's a five wire setup. Blue, Red are the power then there are three wires that are connected to a potentiometer the red/yellow, green and brown the red/yellow and green have a 4.5 measurement set at 20k and the brown changes depending on the position of the cable actuator. I completely disconnected everything and all that happens when the brown wire senses the position is it sends current to the motor until it's in the correct position. so my conclusion is that we don't really need the brown wire connected. And if someone can tell me what size resistor to get for the red/yellow and green wires, i'll hook one up and report back.

So my question is; what size resistor measures at 4.5 at 20k ohm's?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an electrician take no offense from my statement. A resistor is measured in ohms. So there is no resistor that measures 4.5 at 20k ohms. The servo will move as a voltage is applied. The resistance is a feedback to the control that tells the position of the servo. It could be as simple as a pot connected to the shaft of the servo motor. At the closed position it could read 20k ohms. At the open position it would read close to 0 ohms. Or it could be exactly opposite. But if the feedback does not get back to the control most likely a fault will be tripped. That is why mechanical disconnect is easy and the electrical needs to stay. You would have to devise a control that changed the resistance as revs changed. A smaller servo could probably be used to mimic the big honking one Honda uses for a weight saving, but it would not be any simpler. I deal with these devices daily and am pretty sure of what I write about.

Bill

• Member Contributer

As an electrician take no offense from my statement. A resistor is measured in ohms. So there is no resistor that measures 4.5 at 20k ohms. The servo will move as a voltage is applied. The resistance is a feedback to the control that tells the position of the servo. It could be as simple as a pot connected to the shaft of the servo motor. At the closed position it could read 20k ohms. At the open position it would read close to 0 ohms. Or it could be exactly opposite. But if the feedback does not get back to the control most likely a fault will be tripped. That is why mechanical disconnect is easy and the electrical needs to stay. You would have to devise a control that changed the resistance as revs changed. A smaller servo could probably be used to mimic the big honking one Honda uses for a weight saving, but it would not be any simpler. I deal with these devices daily and am pretty sure of what I write about.

Bill

Sorry Bill, I have a VOM it was reading 4.5 when set at the 20K setting. And yes the brown wire is connected to the potentiometer and does change when the position changes which applies voltage to move the servo. But that didn't seem to matter, just the connection to red/yellow and green seemed to matter.

• Member Contributer

I don't have an answer but I bought this one:

http://www.ebay.com/...2-/120916003658

Seems to work also in vfr1200f.

Does it plug into where the Servo Motor was connected too, or the the DLC? There also seems to be two different versions, which one did you order?

Thanks.

I don't have an answer but I bought this one:

http://www.ebay.com/...2-/120916003658

Seems to work also in vfr1200f.

Does it plug into where the Servo Motor was connected too, or the the DLC? There also seems to be two different versions, which one did you order?

Thanks.

Directly to servo's plug. I ordered this one "Servo Buddy HONDA CBR1000RR 2008-2012 FI Light Eliminator CBR 1000 RR ABS 08-12". I can see only one version, though ??.

It's only a wild guess, but I don't think you'll find many differences in the hardware for the PGM-FI's in different Honda's. It's only the software to run the engine that will different.

So I think it's not so strange you can put the same kind of CBR parts on a VFR...

• Member Contributer

Ok, I figured it out. Here is all the crap that was removed. I even found a plug that works great! Thanks to Pete2.

2012-09-19180914_zpse7176a29.jpg

2012-09-19180925_zpsa3c6d780.jpg

2012-09-19180937_zps79ac1ff7.jpg

2012-09-19180853_zps715b207e.jpg

Here's the ServoBuddy.

Here's the Ebay Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Servo-Buddy-HONDA-CBR1000RR-2008-2012-FI-Light-Eliminator-CBR-1000-RR-ABS-08-12-/120916003658

2012-09-19181456_zps202123cd.jpg

Look at all the space in there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! Pete2 messaged me over on 1000RR.net about a project I'm working on. I'm making boards (the size of a dime) that will replace your servo. The only bike I've been able to test on so far is a 2008-2011 Honda CBR1000RR.

I don't know if the plug is the same, so if someone with a VFR wants to help me with the project I can start mass producing them ($15 for a supply-your-own-plug DIY, $30 plug-n-play version - both shipped to the US48).

To read about my involvement in this project, you can start here: http://www.1000rr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70406&page=17 -- I go by "ZG Bear" on that forum.

If someone can take some detailed picture of the wires coming off the servo, and the plug that is used, that can help me determin a lot about the compatibility between the 1000RR version and a VFR version.

Hey guys! Pete2 messaged me over on 1000RR.net about a project I'm working on. I'm making boards (the size of a dime) that will replace your servo. The only bike I've been able to test on so far is a 2008-2011 Honda CBR1000RR.

I don't know if the plug is the same, so if someone with a VFR wants to help me with the project I can start mass producing them ($15 for a supply-your-own-plug DIY, $30 plug-n-play version - both shipped to the US48).

To read about my involvement in this project, you can start here: http://www.1000rr.ne...t=70406&page=17 -- I go by "ZG Bear" on that forum.

If someone can take some detailed picture of the wires coming off the servo, and the plug that is used, that can help me determin a lot about the compatibility between the 1000RR version and a VFR version.

The servo connectors are the same for the 08-12 CBR and the VFR 1200. (If that is what you are asking)

I am in for one of the plug n play when you get them completed!

Thanx

To read about my involvement in this project, you can start here: http://www.1000rr.ne...t=70406&page=17 -- I go by "ZG Bear" on that forum.

The servo connectors are the same for the 08-12 CBR and the VFR 1200. (If that is what you are asking)

Thanx

Count me in, as well! Much appreciated.

Thanx

I'll take one as well. pm me

Count me in for a plug and play.

Awesome, if they are plug & play then we should be good to go! What I want to do is send one to gloryracing first (since he replied first) just to make sure everything works. These are technically designed for the 2008-2011 CBR 1000RR's, and while yes they should work I'd hate to send a dozen off only to have them all fail for some reason.

Once gloryracing gives the okay, I'll happily sell them to anyone wanting one. gloryracing, if you're willing to be my guinea pig AND take pictures/document the "installation" on your VFR (and post here) I'll ship you a final product free-of-charge.

I'm still waiting on the plugs to arrive, so this might be another three or four weeks before we're 100% ready to rock... but we're going as fast as we can! I appreciate everyone's support. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Be sure to read through that thread on 1000rr.net first though (start on page 17). I also uploaded a few new pictures over there.

Thanks everyone! :)

Awesome, if they are plug & play then we should be good to go! What I want to do is send one to gloryracing first (since he replied first) just to make sure everything works. These are technically designed for the 2008-2011 CBR 1000RR's, and while yes they should work I'd hate to send a dozen off only to have them all fail for some reason.

Once gloryracing gives the okay, I'll happily sell them to anyone wanting one. gloryracing, if you're willing to be my guinea pig AND take pictures/document the "installation" on your VFR (and post here) I'll ship you a final product free-of-charge.

I'm still waiting on the plugs to arrive, so this might be another three or four weeks before we're 100% ready to rock... but we're going as fast as we can! I appreciate everyone's support. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Be sure to read through that thread on 1000rr.net first though (start on page 17). I also uploaded a few new pictures over there.

Thanks everyone! :)

Can do. I am very familiar with being the guinea pig!

Looking forward to your product and thanx for affordably solving this problem for us.

Awesome, thanks! If you want to go ahead and PM me your address, I'll get one to you as soon as I get the plugs.

It's still going to be a few weeks, so don't get TOO excited... I made a large order and they're coming from China. I'll report back when I have something useful :)

• 1 month later...

UPDATE - NOVEMBER 16, 2012

Alright, I've been working really hard on trying to wrap up the final parts of this. I've sent out a half-dozen or so of the DIY boards to members on 1000rr.net in the meantime, but have been holding off on committing to much more then that as we've been designing and experimenting with the best way to move forward.

As some of you may know, the plugs required to make my ESRM "plug-and-play" are about $6.00 each... and that's JUST for the plug. On top of that, there is shipping and the availability reliability is fairly volatile. So I've been thinking about the best way to approach this, because if I'm going to do it... I want to do it right.

So I've got some good news/bad news! Good news: We came up with another prototype that is smaller and easier to install. Bad news: This prototype didn't work (it fits, but throws a check engine light).

Now I've just received another prototype I need to test, which hopefully will work! If it does, we're going to start blasting these bad boys out as fast as we can and fulfill everyone's requests!

There will be a slight change in pricing. Since we don't have to pay for the plug, I can charge less for the "Plug & Play" version technically.

So what I'm going to do is this:

$20 per PnP ESRM if you've replied to this thread before today (as a thank you for your support)

$25 per PnP ESRM to anyone replying to this thread in the future.

$15 per DIY ESRM (designed for 2004-2007 Honda CBR1000RR's, and other bikes)

Those prices include FREE shipping to the 48 states. Alaska, Hawaii, and international shipping will be extra.

The picture below show the new ESRM and how it's installed. The final units will be dipped to provide protection from the elements.

Before I'll ship to anyone here, I'll still have this unit tested by a VFRD member to confirm it'll work.

Thanks again everyone!!

post-26105-0-87887900-1353084377.jpg

post-26105-0-31765700-1353084400.jpg

post-26105-0-50903400-1353084409.jpg

post-26105-0-01843400-1353084418.jpg

Haha, yes sir! It's been tough because I'm trying to create the smallest, most efficient version possible. I've gone through about 5 different revisions/prototypes. ALMOST THERE :)

Thanks for your persistence . Have been keeping an eye on this thread, and looking forward to dumping the servo with one of your plugs. Just let me know where and when to send $ !!!!!

Archived