Has anyone replaced the stock windscreen?

crazybrother

• Member Contributer

Put Givi wind screen on both VFR's. Very happy with results. made a huge difference on redirecting wind off of chest and over helmet.

post-25788-0-50160800-1346878350.jpg

Zero Gravity made very good instructions in a Pdf file (pictures etc.) They also paid attention to the pitfalls (you can break things easely (plastic) if you do things wrong)

http://www.zerogravi...een_install.pdf

I did it last winter (cleaning). It's the same thing I had with the fairings. Once you have done it, the second time it goes much faster (and better). The most important thing - dont brake anything - and take your time....

One important thing: the OEM screen is attached around the mirrors - so they have to be removed first (some of us didn't...)

My 08 VFR had a Zero Gravity "touring" tinted windscreen on it when I bought it recently. Seems good fit/finnish. Sadly I don't have the stock original to compare it to. I have noticed some lateral buffeting from this screen, which is higher than stock as I understand it. The Zero gravity unit is also more rounded than what I've seen of stock shields. From what I can tell the coverage is pretty good and would likely help in rainy weather.

One factor that has to be considered with regard to windscreen effectiveness is rider height. Someone who is 5'8" will likely have a very different opinion of a particular windscreen than someone who is 6'2".

I went with the Puig smoke windscreen. It looks great, and the fit was very good. Relatively easy install. The improvement over stock is there.

I am curious about the Puig. How tall are you? Where does the wind coming over the screen hit you? Do you recall if your screen is the "racing" screen or "Touring" screen?

I'm 5'8". The wind effect is lessened, imho, from stock. With Helibars installed, I'd say the wind hits the top of my Shoei RF1100, so the helmet handles it from there with no noticeable discomfort.

Honestly, you should get a few more opinions, as wind has never bothered me in the slightest. I stop frequently to stretch, about every 90-125 miles, or so, therefore fatigue is never really an issue.

The screen is the racing type, I believe. The Puig comes in clear, light smoke, and dark smoke, I believe. The dark smoke is perfect for me, just be sure you don't get the black, as it is non transparent.

I paid the big bucks to try the V Stream touring model. Quality is very good. I was not impressed with the view from the driver's seat. For this wind shield you have to remove the painted nose piece. And the design of this wind shield has a very distinct bubble out to redirect the wind so you can see behind your gauges which is now uncovered. Creates a great new spot to store things if you think you can fish them back out. So I modified my nose piece and put it back on to make it look more finished and added a piece of black foam to keep the dirt out. The wind protection is very good, however, the noise level has increase. I wear ear plugs, so it is not a big deal. I am most likely picking up some wind turbulence as my helmet cuts through the disturbed air versus the helmet cutting through undisturbed air. If you go down into a full tuck, it is dead silent. I am 6'1"ish with Helibars and lowered pegs. I have pics in my gallery to if you want to check it out. I am still learning how to post pics in these replies...

• Member Contributer

Sirvelo,

That is a great photo. I like the new blue, and I'm sure it's better in person. (Much like the red!)

Lucky man!

The blue is nice but it does not have the sparkle flecks the red has so it does not "pop" in the sun quite as much. Only complaint from wife as the blue is her ride.

I got the ZeroGravity Double Bubble in dark smoke and I like it a lot. Simple to install and moved the airflow up to the top of my helmet. It was a great mod and I would suggest to everyone. Great company as well. I have had 5 or so ZeroGravity windscreens on different bike now and they have all been fantastic. It's the only brand I buy. Ride safe.

Mark

I've been eyeing the OEM but choking on it's price. Recently picked up the PUIG from eBay for $75 to try first.

Chose 'light smoke' because the signals seemed slightly tinted to me and thought it might also complement the scheme.

After trying it out I'd say it moved the wind blast up half a foot and made a noticeable difference at hwy speeds. Not likely to go OEM now.

post-25818-0-21649000-1347637531.jpg

post-25818-0-07867600-1347637641.jpg

post-25818-0-48925700-1347637715.jpg

post-25818-0-53468600-1347637733.jpg

post-25818-0-29101700-1347637901.jpg

post-25818-0-81587600-1347637979.jpg

• Member Contributer

http://www.ebay.com/...0 puig&_sacat=0

If the link doesn't work search VFR1200 PUIG and it should come up. Seller was Ridersdiscount.

Cheers

Thanks, just ordered one up.

Thanks for all the suggestions and impressions, after looking at all the info, the PUIG seems to be the best one for the money.

Just a heads up on Zero Gravity screens...although they work well, and most fit and look good on most bikes, the material they use for their screens tends to be thin and fragile, compared to OEM screens, so they don't take any sort of substantial impact or bending force too well. I had one (a double bubble) shatter on my 4th when I ended up leaning the bike against s rolling tool box in my garage. Everything, all the fairing plastics and brackets survived the light encounter with the tool box intact, except for the screen (that did not even touch it) that broke apart like an eggshell. (a bit too thin and brittle, I think)

Beck

95 VFR

Just a heads up on Zero Gravity screens...although they work well, and most fit and look good on most bikes, the material they use for their screens tends to be thin and fragile, compared to OEM screens, so they don't take any sort of substantial impact or bending force too well. I had one (a double bubble) shatter on my 4th when I ended up leaning the bike against s rolling tool box in my garage. Everything, all the fairing plastics and brackets survived the light encounter with the tool box intact, except for the screen (that did not even touch it) that broke apart like an eggshell. (a bit too thin and brittle, I think)

Beck

95 VFR

Uh, yeah. You abusing your equipment and then being upset that it didn't stand up to the abuse is not really a good reason to avoid a ZG (in my humble opinion). I have had several ZG's on different makes and models without issue dating back to 2001. They have performed as advertised each time. It is the only brand I look at. They have earned my business.

Ride safe.

Archived