Cruise Control

Guest CaptG

In 2004 i found an aftermarket cruise control made by Audiovox and an online guide on how one guy installed it on his bike (forgot the model but was a four cylinder fuel injection) i have it somewhere. Then it was only about $100 bucs. i installed it with just fabrication one bracket. It got a little tough installing hte bracket, but very doable. For temporary testing iisolated my evap cannister and used it as my vacuum acccumulator. A touch of the front or rear brake, lifting clutch, or by off switch on handle bar mounted control head. (i also had to fab a bracket to mount head to left handle bar)

Its my most used add on. when i get on long strecthes of road/interstate, i set it and don't have to worry speeding tickets

i have a radar unit mounted in the nose with warning leds mounted on the dash with alarm, but you have to be careful using, make sure someone is mile ahead blasting the way. Seat heater was next best addition.

And cannot do without the luggage rack, which i had to fab myself. they should had these as an optionpost-25825-0-66538100-1346546427.jpgpost-25825-0-44658400-1346546607.jpgpost-25825-0-63715900-1346546663.jpg

• Member Contributer

How do you like the cruise control? I have heard about the AudioVox cc, but have heard that installation is a real pain. How well do you rate the system and how difficult / hours did it take to install correctly?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I've had the Audiovox CCX-100 on my fifth gen since '04 (Might be the post Capt G is talking of). It has worked great all these years. I mounted the control pad on the throttle side. The canister/module is under the righ rear seat plastic. I had a homemade PVC Vacuum Canister under the seat for a while then removed it and still had plenty of vacuum for operation. I just got back from a ten day European Bike Week trip to Faaker See, Austria (Ride report soon) and it quit working on way home just north of Rome. Will let you know if it is something simple to fix (I hope).

DSC01721.JPG

Cruise Install001.JPG

DSC01719.JPG

DSC01718.JPG

• 2 years later...

Old post, but maybe they're still around.

How did y'all mount the control unit? Mine is all installed except I can't find a good place for it.

Navy, can you describe a little how you mounted your cable to the body? Did the center of your throttle cam already have the threaded area for that nut of did you put something on there? That looks much better than mine.

Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Stumbled on this thread and I have a 6th gen VFR with Audiovox CCS-100 installed so I thought I would chime in with my bit.

I mounted my control unit behind the left blinker on my 6th gen (won't work well if you have an ABS, I think ABS gear is parked there normally) but you can also jam it under the seat area I think. There are a couple mounting options, but sometimes you gotta get creative and move other things to fit something this bulky as the vacuum actuator. I ran the throttle cable in a lazy loop around the left radiator and back to the throttle linkage. It was the easiest way to make it work but if you look carefully you can see a corner of the loop protruding into my radiator opening on the fairing.

The Audiovox CCS-100 are still around, but I think people are using the Rostra cruise controls these days. If I do another, it will be 100% using the Rostra. Rostra is pretty much same as Audiovox, with big advantage of control unit being electronic and not vacuum.

See link:

http://www.rostra.com/universal-aftermarket-cruise-control-by-rostra.php

I elected to use a very small vacuum canister or none at all (I can't remember if I used a small length of hose as a vacuum canister as planned or if I scrapped it altogether and used nothing) but I don't have a big can anywhere on the bike. Yes it surges a tiny bit, but I barely notice unless I am paying close attention. I tend to not run with the cruise for long periods anyhow, it is usually just there as a means of resting my hand and being able to stretch. I wouldn't do it any different if I did it again.

Yes when the cruise accelerates, you feel the throttle grip move a bit. Your hand goes with it. You can add more throttle easily. Unless you have a death grip on the throttle, I can't see it being a problem.

One word of caution: if you tie into the brake light circuit, you may wish to do it BEFORE the fuse panel. I did it off the rear of the bike (easiest) but learned the hard way (blew the fuse due to large horn not on relay) that the brake trip of the cruise doesn't work once the fuse goes. The bike kept pulling hard as I tried to brake. A simple pull of the clutch lever cause the secondary (over rev) trip to work on the cruise, and I figured it out and fixed it somewhere in Idaho on the way to the first SumSum meet in Dillon, CO.

Never mod just before a big trip! Lesson learned, mostly.

• 4 months later...

Stumbled on this thread and I have a 6th gen VFR with Audiovox CCS-100 installed so I thought I would chime in with my bit.

I mounted my control unit behind the left blinker on my 6th gen (won't work well if you have an ABS, I think ABS gear is parked there normally) but you can also jam it under the seat area I think. There are a couple mounting options, but sometimes you gotta get creative and move other things to fit something this bulky as the vacuum actuator. I ran the throttle cable in a lazy loop around the left radiator and back to the throttle linkage. It was the easiest way to make it work but if you look carefully you can see a corner of the loop protruding into my radiator opening on the fairing.

The Audiovox CCS-100 are still around, but I think people are using the Rostra cruise controls these days. If I do another, it will be 100% using the Rostra. Rostra is pretty much same as Audiovox, with big advantage of control unit being electronic and not vacuum.

See link:

http://www.rostra.com/universal-aftermarket-cruise-control-by-rostra.php

I elected to use a very small vacuum canister or none at all (I can't remember if I used a small length of hose as a vacuum canister as planned or if I scrapped it altogether and used nothing) but I don't have a big can anywhere on the bike. Yes it surges a tiny bit, but I barely notice unless I am paying close attention. I tend to not run with the cruise for long periods anyhow, it is usually just there as a means of resting my hand and being able to stretch. I wouldn't do it any different if I did it again.

Yes when the cruise accelerates, you feel the throttle grip move a bit. Your hand goes with it. You can add more throttle easily. Unless you have a death grip on the throttle, I can't see it being a problem.

One word of caution: if you tie into the brake light circuit, you may wish to do it BEFORE the fuse panel. I did it off the rear of the bike (easiest) but learned the hard way (blew the fuse due to large horn not on relay) that the brake trip of the cruise doesn't work once the fuse goes. The bike kept pulling hard as I tried to brake. A simple pull of the clutch lever cause the secondary (over rev) trip to work on the cruise, and I figured it out and fixed it somewhere in Idaho on the way to the first SumSum meet in Dillon, CO.

Never mod just before a big trip! Lesson learned, mostly.

Can you post a picture of how you have your cruise control throttle cable mounted to the throttle cam?

Archived