Amsoil 10W30 full synth and filter in VFR1200 review

Guest V4Smitten

Guest V4Smitten

I'm an Amsoil full synth user and have always found it to run cooler and improve shifting in whatever I put it in.

With the factory oil and filter, my VFR1200 was showing 2 temp bars in motion and occassionally 3 during stop and go.

After this change where I tried an Amsoil filter for the first time, it's showing 3 bars at all times when up to temp. I think the Amsoil filter may be the cause so I won't be using it again (I tried it this time because I was at the warehouse getting the oil and it was convenient to get a filter at the same time).

The Amsoil filter has 6 holes vs 8 on the OE and its also longer and so the end of it actually comes in slight contact with the fairing.

• Member Contributer

It will be a nuisance, but do you think you should change back to the OEM filter now rather than wait several thousand miles?

It would also verify (Or not) your feeling that the Amsoil filter is contributing to the warmer running. I wouldn't care for the filter rubbing on the fairing.

From my oil analisys, 10w30 is too light of oil in a motorycle, you will see accelerated cam lobe wear. Definitely not a long range oil, in a bike.

If you really wnt to run amsoil, id try the 15 w40 diesil AMF oil, it will atleast hold up for a few thousand miles. I can tell ya in my vfr, 15w40 ams is a 30 weight by 2,000 miles. Oils like 5w40 Rotella is a 30 weight by 1,100 miles.

Fair thought Charles. Its still well within the standard operating temp range so unless I hear the fan coming on more often, I'll likely let it go until I take it off the road for winter or 3000km whichever comes first. It's only going to get colder up here for the rest of 2012 now.

I used Amsoil 10W40 with the stock filter for the last 8000 miles. Oil looks great, it's actually draining as I type this, coincidentally. Using the Amsoil 15W again, but this time with a K&N filter. I like the ease of the nut on the end. I haven't noticed any difference in running temperatures, even from using the Honda GN4 dino oil for the first 1600 miles.

Archived