Need GoPro help

huntinggunns

• Member Contributer

Looking at getting a GoPro but don't have any idea where to start. Looks like there is a Hero, an HD Hero, a Hero 960, a surf model, a bare model, one for helmets, and so on. Thought this would be easy to figure out. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

• Member Contributer

I have one, it's great.

Get the GoPro HDHero2, it's got more options. Battery life sucks, so get at least 1 or 2 spares if you plan on filming throughout the day. You'll need a larger case-door if you piggy-back it.

The mounts are universal, the only "different" thing about the camera packages are the mounts that come with the initial purchase. I use the glue-mounts on my helmet and a suction-cup mount on the bike itself.

You'll need a SD card as well to store video... 32Gb stores something like 6 hours of footage. I've not come close to filling mine.

I've had this camera to (deleted) speeds on the highway, under 30ft of water and bouncing along the bottom of a river. Do yourself a favor and get the moisture absorber for the case as well, they fog when it's humid.

I plan on bringing it to AR.

Worth saying the audio is pretty shoddy.

This is a couple vids I've gotten with it.

These were both shot in the 170 degree format... Think I'll be using a narrower angle in the future.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Jon, I appreciate the help. So the Hero 2 naked and the Hero 2 surf are the same, just different mount kits that are included in the box. Makes sense now. Been looking at them for a while and finally decided to get one for the upcoming ride through the Ozarks.

• Member Contributer

http://www.bikebandi...T.mc_id=2790164

$50.00 off through the 3rd of September... Got this in my e-mail the other day.

I did get mine from Best Buy, figured it was easier to buy all the accessories in the flesh. Plan on parting with around 500.00 for all the crap you'll find yourself wanting. Hhahaha! Still, not bad considering what hell you can put them through.

This is the basic mount system I've got for mine, the one in the advertisement. I've just got spare backpack battery and larger case door.

alright, finally something i can advice on

1. Buy hero2 - no question about it, overall best among them gopros hands down

2. Buy motorsport option to start with since the suction cup is a good do it all mount plus other mounts u get

3. dont buy battery pack, , just buy spare battery and charger - not at all costly

4, If you do buy something- get the wifi back pack, awesome addition gives you lot of flexibility of use + lot more features like iphone conectivity etc waiting to come up on the wifi pack

5. buy faster memory card you can afford, does make a difference as i seen recently

6. as yokel said, now many places offering gopro for 250

• Member Contributer

That LCD option really worth it? Was thinking about that... would it fit inside a the clamshell or is it a different connection?

That LCD option really worth it? Was thinking about that... would it fit inside a the clamshell or is it a different connection?

holy shit, my baaad sorry, i meant to sat WIFI back pack, just edited my post again. sorry about that. Once the iphone app comes to reality you can use your iphone as view finder to frame your shots, so LCD pack becomes obsolete

the back packs comes with its own back case to attach to the parent front side

I have one too and love it.

The motorsport option works best for me since it brings the suction cup mount which helps mount the camera at some extreme angles.

In terms of accessories, I added the following:

- battery backpack. I don't use it on the camera. I store in my tail bag where I charge one battery while riding. very useful for long rides and usage of the gopro. you can swap batteries and never be out of juice for the gopro. :)

- LCD backpack. I always have it on the camera to be able to see what I'm shooting when setting the camera. Also useful to go thru pictures you've taken.

- Mounts. I went with RAM mounts and found them to be the best to place the camera just about everywhere on the bike for just about every angle to take a pic or video.

Hope that helps.

alright, finally something i can advice on

1. Buy hero2 - no question about it, overall best among them gopros hands down

2. Buy motorsport option to start with since the suction cup is a good do it all mount plus other mounts u get

3. dont buy battery pack, , just buy spare battery and charger - not at all costly

4, If you do buy something- get the wifi back pack, awesome addition gives you lot of flexibility of use + lot more features like iphone conectivity etc waiting to come up on the wifi pack

5. buy faster memory card you can afford, does make a difference as i seen recently

6. as yokel said, now many places offering gopro for 250

^^^^This is exactly my thoughts after a summer with the GoPro. The WiFi back pack is the best (and only) option I found to be necessary or worth the cost. Fun little things to play with!

Archived