Found the reason(s) for the worrisome noise...

Guest ArizonaRC36

Guest ArizonaRC36

After getting to the shop today and working from the top down, discovered (unless more stuff arises) what the issue(s) were in creating that god awfull noise I mentioned in my last post.

First off, I went and did the valve clearances, thinking that was might have been it. NOPE, those valves were dead on, in the middle perfect in measurements.

Next, took off the right side case cover. Looked over the clutch basket and didn't show, to me, any signs of issues. Removed the clutch basket assembly. Then the oil pump assembly chain got my attention quick. Just looking how it sat on the teeth alarmed me, then I pushed on the chain to one side and in a second, new what was making the sounds. Chain was so badly loose and stretch it was a joke. Then alarmed me when I looked closer... it was hitting the inside of the engine casing area (pics of it). Looks as though I caught it before serious damage could have occured. The upper gear for the chain, its bushing sleeve it sits on looks a bit worn just a hair. Will need that replaced too.

THEN... by accident, I let the starter clutch assembly come apart in my hand. No biggie at first, until I noticed the clutch assembly was cracked in two places (pics also).

Uugghhh... well, as from I can tell now... doesn't look like the main bearings! Oil was drained... no metal shavings of any kind found.

Now to dig up prices for this stuff. Not looking forward to it. :(

post-24227-0-07914600-1345254948.jpg

post-24227-0-17402000-1345254950.jpg

post-24227-0-43436200-1345254952.jpg

post-24227-0-20351300-1345254955.jpg

Oh balls, that girl needs some love. Sorry bout the problems, but at least you found em now and can still repair it.

Yes, very glad it was caught now. Not sure how this chain could have just stretch like that... haven't heard VFR's doing that. :(

Archived