Waterless engine coolant.

Guest LilRed

Guest LilRed

Evans Waterless coolant for powersports: http://www.evanscooling.com/products/coolants/powersports-coolant/

Hi all,

This is my first post on this board, I'm also on the VFR World board as well. I found out about this coolant through Jay Leno's Garage site and it peaked my interest. Does anyone on here has experience with this product? I'm considering putting an order in and using this coolant. I'd appreciate any input and opinions.

Regards,

David Matthew

• Member Contributer

The articles don't say anything about the heat transfer coefficient of this stuff by comparison with water and standard coolants. I bet it tends to make an engine run hotter and does not transfer heat thru the radiator as well as water.

If anything i think i would want my engine to run cooler.

As a side note - Even if they were available i would not be inclined to use a higher temp thermostat. The engine gets hot enough as it is.

I tried it in my 5th gen. The propylene glycol has too high of a specific gravity to circulate through the side mounted rads and plumbing. 6th gens are going to have the same problem. The stuff is really thick compared to ethylene glycol and water.

3rd and 4th gens with "normal" front mounted rads may not have a problem with it, but my bike overheated no matter what I did. And I pulled the thermostat and tested it, it was good. Once I put in Dexcool, it worked.

And yes the cooling system was burped and burped and burped ad nauseum. I took a whole day for that escapade. Never again.

It would circulate from the water pump through the return hose from the thermostat housing just fine, that was nice and hot, but would not rise into the rads due to the difference in specific gravity of the fluid, and the small size of the Vfrs water pump.

Evans recommends a high performance/high flow water pump, and no thermostat, just block the rad for proper temp. We're talking race applications here with v-8 engines.

The labrynthe cooling system on the 1999-2009 Vfrs is not well suited to that type of coolant.

Check the specs yourself and look at the specific gravity when cold. It's substantially greater than 50/50 ethylene glycol and water.

the vfr's really cant take anything other then ethylene glycol/water, or water wetter....anything esle is too think to make it thought the labyrinth. the propylene glycol would be mainly used for auto racing or diesel applications

• Member Contributer

I tried it in my 5th gen. The propylene glycol has too high of a specific gravity to circulate through the side mounted rads and plumbing. 6th gens are going to have the same problem. The stuff is really thick compared to ethylene glycol and water.

What he said. I was seriously considering Evans back in 2003 but I'm glad I never did it. It gets expensive fast! For example, you need to use their special flushing liquid to remove all traces of water from your bike BEFORE you can put Evans in it. You're also supposed to cut the spring pin on the radiator cap or buy a no pressure cap, because you don't need to maintain pressure in the system anymore (Evans boils at a much higher temperature).

And if some numpty mechanic ever decides to top your system up with water, you have to flush the whole thing again and refill it with fresh Evans coolant.

And if you spring a leak somewhere, you're hosed because you can't just patch it up and top up with water. But if you did, you have to flush the whole system...etc.

Archived