Los Angeles to San Francisco / Marin County and back...

Hello All, leaving tomorrow on a trip up the PCH to the Bay area and back, probably down the 101.

I am riding my '02 and my friend is riding his new to him '02 VFR, he bought it here in Thousand Oaks for $3000 with 10,000 miles on it. It was rough cosmetically but freshly serviced and solid on the inside. It is the bike that was built next to mine in 2001. Does anyone have any suggestions for this trip? Places to stay, things to see, roads to ride? I have done this in my car and have spent some time up North but never on the bike. Thanks in advance for the tips!

• Member Contributer

There's so many roads, 101 itself is a nice ride down the coast. Head over to http://www.pashnit.com Some of the route descriptions are free (or used to be) but full access is $20/year. Still, you can see the suggested motorcycle roads and Google them for each region of CA. Check Highway 25 and 198 from Hollister to King City. Nacimiento Rd. through Ft. Hunter Leggett, etc. Enjoy the trip!

Edit: And if you get up north of San Fran, try Skaggs Spring Rd.

I live in Sonoma in the north bay wine country. There are definitely some great roads around here. When and how long will you be in the bay area? I might be able to go on a ride with you guys and show you some roads.

• Member Contributer

IN VENTURA GO UP THE 33 TOWARD OJAI, UP AND OVER THE HILL TOWARD TAFT. IF YOU WANT A GREAT DIVERSION, TAKE LOCKWOOD COUNTY ROAD AND DOUBLE BACK TO 33 ON CUDDY VALLEY/FORREST HIGHWAY 95. GAS UP IN TAFT. TAKE 58 ACROSS TO SANTA MARGARITA. GO UP THE 101 TO TAKE A BREATHER. ONCE YOU'RE AT KING CITY, YOU CAN GO INTO CARMEL ON G17 OR GET ON TO HIGHWAY 25, WHICH RUNS NORTH/SOUTH BUT IS BACK INLAND AWAYS. BY THE TIME YOU MAKE IT TO HOLLISTER ON THIS ROUTE, YOU WILL BE RUNNING ABOUT EIGHT OR NINE HOURS ON THE BIKE FROM LOS ANGELES.

That sounds Terrific, however, with the 100º+ heat we're gonna stick to the coast going up. I go over the 33 a couple times a year, have been to Maricopa, but always wondered what else was up there.

Archived