Do I need to replace the air filter on my 2010 VFR1200f at 24k miles?

Mrteddy

I had the 24k mile service carried out today by an official UK Honda dealer. The servicing is covered by the Honda Happiness servicing pre-paid deal which includes the 24k mile service. However, I was charged £118 to supply and fit a replacement air filter.

My issue is that in the UK Owners Manual, inspecting the air filter is not detailed in the maintenance schedule for 24k miles (yet it is for the 16 and 36 mile services).

However, after I down loaded the 2010 service manual kindly made available by Hispanic Slammer (HS) I noticed that this manual clearly states that an inspection of the air filter should take place at the 24k mile service (I noticed however that the manual made available by HS is the US version).

I am therefore confused. The European Owners Manual does not state an inspection is required, thus the replacement has cost me £118. However the US owners Manual says it should be and therefore if I was in the US this should have been covered by the pre-paid service agreement.

Can anyone offer any comment on this anomoly before I take the issue up with UK Honda Customer service?

Many thanks,

Steve.

• Member Contributer

my guess is that if you prepay for service, you get the manual you already have. That way they get to charge for the extra stuff in their version.

• Forum CEO

It should be inspected no matter where you live, if its dry dirt you can just shake it out and perhaps blow some of it out with compressed air then reuse the filter for another 10k. If it is wet material or oily material then I would replace it.

• Member Contributer

They should have shown you the filter they took out before charging you for a new one.

118 quid? so they charge you for labour.

If the inspection is not in their chart they performed work they should have consulted you on PRIOR to commencing.

And after that, the part is still your property unless you tell them to ditch it.

I would go back to the dealer, tell them you feel uneasy on what has transpired and want to hear their view.

Then say nothing, let them fill in the silence....

If they are a good dealer, they understand your concern (as long as you express your unease in in a polite manner) and will be able to explain their past and next actions.

I am sure dealers earn the butter on their bread by maintenance and parts sales. Your custom should be worth their best efforts.

Contact Honda HQ only after having given the dealer the opportunity to explain and make an offer that will retain you as a customer.

Good luck!

It should be inspected no matter where you live, if its dry dirt you can just shake it out and perhaps blow some of it out with compressed air then reuse the filter for another 10k. If it is wet material or oily material then I would replace it.

Many thanks for your comment.

I have dealt with the dealer for a number of years now and on the whole I trust their advice and judgement. The overiding issue is that I unfortunately appear to be a test case as I am the dealer's 1st rider to have completed 24k miles (in just 16 months) and so they have no prior experience of carrying out the 24k mile service under the Honda Happines Service Plan.

In the dealer's defence they are simply going by the Honda Happiness Service Plan 'basic's' information which quotes included 'example' service components "engine oil, oil filter and sump washer". However the 'basic's' information contained in the brochure also states that 'Every part of our scheduled servicing from materials to labour to vat' is covered by the Service Plan.

The dealer guy said that he would have expected the air filter to be included, but when checking the European owners manual the air filter is not listed for inspection on the 24k mile service.

The brochure goes on to state that "Any extra maintenance work, wear and tear which isn't part of the service schedule is not covered". Hence my concern over the exclusion in the European Owner's manual and the inclusion in the U.S. Maintenance booklet you have kindly made available.

Cheers,

Steve.

The Honda shop manual says to use compressed air to clean the air filter any time it is "excessively dirty". I would think actually replacing it would be a rare event, especially at your mileage. Hopefully they can give you the old filter for future use.

The Honda shop manual says to use compressed air to clean the air filter any time it is "excessively dirty". I would think actually replacing it would be a rare event, especially at your mileage. Hopefully they can give you the old filter for future use.

Thanks for the info - I will update everyone as soon as I have contaced Honda.

Archived