WI to ?

VFRJake

Hey guys. My friend and I are both able to get a week or so off of work before class starts for me again, and we want to make a trip out of it. We both know we wouldn't get as far west as we'd like to within a week, so we're talking about either heading south to Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri or maybe creeping along the Canadian border (I don't have a passport over to Niagara Falls or something. Anyway, I'm looking for route suggestions or any advice I guess. W're pretty open to destinations and everything, as long as it's a worthwhile trip and not just thousands of miles of nothing. I did a solo trip from WI so SD to CO and back (3300 miles or so over 6 days), so I know it can be grueling.

The lowdown:

Looking for 5-8 days with no riding after dark. Too dangerous to push it that hard, and it starts to take the fun out of it when all you do is ride and sleep.

Probably all camping, since I'm broke and it's fun. Maybe a hotel or two just to get real sleep and have a decent shower somewhere in there, especially if we stay in a decent sized city.

The less highway, the better, unless it's going to get us somewhere awesome that much faster.

This will be late August, so I'm hesitant to go south, especially as hot as this summer has been.

That's it! Lay it on me!

• Member Contributer

Hi Jake,

Elizilla, Katherine, suggested US 127 through Kentucky as a route to T-Mac. It starts at I71 southwest of Cincinnati, OH, and runs to I75 near Chattanooga, TN. I rode the northern portion as far south as I40. It was a fantastic route, well engineered for good rhythm, great curves and fabulous scenery. And you could end up in Dragon territory in just a couple days. Just a suggestion. I've never been to the Ozarks.

• Member Contributer

Hi VFRJake,

Perhaps a warm weather trip exploring the northwoods and the big lakes. The cool air and water of the Great Lakes makes for good summer travel. You could make a decent 6-7 day run from Milw. around the bottom of Lake Michigan. You must time the Chicago portion to be there when the traffic is moving. Follow roads near Lake MIchigan in Indiana and the north into lower MI. The small towns are interesting and there are some nice roads near the dunes and along the shore. You could also take one of the ferries across Lake Michigan (SS Badger or Lake Express)...They are to fun travel, you avoid Chicago, but they are not cheap. The Mackinac Bridge has a nice view from a cycle. (The first time I crossed the Mack. Bridge in 1968 on a Honda 450, I was so impressed that I turned around and crossed it twice again.) There are some good cruising roads in the Upper MI near Lake Superior. Most motels are reasonable and there is lots of camping. Copper Harbor area roads are a treat. The Porkupine Mountains and Black River are cool. I'd see Bayfield, WI for lunch and Duluth, MN is a unique city. The North Shore of Lake Superior to Grand Marais, MN has dramatic views. You would need a passport to go much further. Next I would track down again through Duluth and seek the St. Croix and Missisippi river roads south along the borders between WI and MN. Once near IA, I would ride through the many great roads in SW Wisconsin and back to MIlw. The trip would have a few stretches of straight roads, mostly rural and scenic. You would see many waterfalls, lighthouses and lake vistas and long sandy beaches. You would not have any day-long burns down a straight slab. If you run into bad weather and stay put, or see some roads that need to be further explored, you could always head directly back home to Milw. in a day trip. This route links together some of my favorite 2+ day rides. RickF

• Member Contributer

Funny you should ask. Still on a trip (yes ,along strange one) from NM by RV to pick up a used ,new to me 04 VFR. Got the vfr in NE Iowa and started back to the west. Anyway, one of the detours was to the Lake of the Ozarks area.

Some really cool roads in SW Wisconsin- just get a map and jump off on anything that is squiggly and rural. 82,27,x,vv,133,y,u and side roads off of these.

In the Lake of the Ozarks area all of the letter roads are really fun. AA,PP etc. I was there two weeks ago and it was so hot, it was almost not fun. 102*f ,103*f everyday. Unless you really like to ride in high heat and high humidity I would go north as far as you can go.

Rural Wisconsin was fun and not so hot.

Lake of the Ozarks itself was gross ,except for the state park , Public Beach #1. Traffic and more Traffic- if you have time off go some where else. Just my take. Cheers.

A pic of weirdness in Dickeyville,Wis.post-19304-0-25949800-1343945091.jpgpost-19304-0-44350300-1343945208.jpg

• Member Contributer

A trip to the Barber Motorsports museum in Alabama is hard to beat especially with all the great roads in the Southeast.

Rollin

• Member Contributer

When we were kids, we used to laugh at people that "camped" at KOA Kamp grounds but as a moto-traveler, I've learned that it can be a dry, warm place to sleep with a decent shower in the morning and you don't necessarily need to drag a tent with you all over the country. A sleeping bag tossed out on the bed is all you need. My riding buddy and I share the cost of the "Kabins" and cost varies but most are in the $30 - $40 range and that's pretty cheap accomodations split between two people. Plus you never worry about setting up/tearing down camp in the rain or losing your tent off of your bike along the roadways. They have day rooms with a tv to catch up on weather/news and a fire pit makes a great place to down a few beers. The regular size Kabins have a double size bed plus a set of bunks. Since he is a 300# guy, he gets the double and I use the top bunk as my closet for all my gear and I sleep on the bottom.

100_0321_0051.jpg

Some good advice in here, thanks guys. I'm starting to think a northwoods/great lakes ride would be short enough and inexpensive enough. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the country I haven't seen yet, so around lake Michigan and a northeast route isn't out of the question.

• Member Contributer

That is what bikes are for...... going someplace that you have never been before. Be safe and have FUN.

Where I am now.

post-19304-0-51884700-1344047012.jpg

Archived