Can You Sync The Throttle Bodies on a VFR1200F (Vibration)

Guest dwallen

Guest dwallen

Hi All, I am new to the board but not the V-four. I recently purchased a 2010 VFR1200F and have 6300 miles on it so far. I absolutely love everything about the bike except for the numbing I get from the handlebars. I have search the site and the web and have really found no complaints about this, or it is just excepted.

The vibrations I get are between 3k and 4k rpm. My hands get so numb sometimes I can't operate the controls comfortably. I took it back to the dealer and they did nothing but charge me $100 and said they retorqued the motor mounts after I suggested it to them. I called Honda and they said take it back and let them diagnose it. I don't have a great relationship with my local dealer and they wreck shit every-time they have it.

I have put the heavy Throttlemiester bar ends on and foam slip overs on the grips but it has not really helped. Another thing is the vibration varies from time to time. Sometimes the bike runs like it is electric and others it vibrates. Fuel grade seems to have an influence also. I run 91 no ethanol and usually get it from Kwik Trip or BP, when I can I get it from Shell. The Shell gas seems to run much smoother than the others.

What I am wondering is if you can sync the throttle bodies on these bikes. All of the V-Fours I have owned I have kept the carbs synced dead on and it is amazing how just being a little out can effect engine noise and smoothness. I have a service manual but I have not found anything in it about syncing the throtle bodies. Does anyone know if you can do this.

I also have a pretty loud clacking noise that comes and goes. Sounds like a way out of adjusted valve or maybe broken valve spring. When I rev the engine to 4k and then let off, a clacking noise from the right side develops and clacks for 20 seconds or so and then goes away. I also hear it after I ride the bike for a half mile to the stopsign and stop it is really loud (not the clutch). Sometimes at start up it is very loud and sometimes it is dead quit at start up. Any ideas?

Thanks

Dave

No ideas on the vibration you're experiencing. Mine is very smooth. RE: the clacking, do you have the stock pipe? If so, is it the flapper valve? Disconnecting the cable to the servo motor should get rid of the flapper rattle.

I might take off the flapper cable but I really don't think that is it. It is definitely in the engine. I would like to find another one to ride and compare. If it is just the nature of the beast I will except it and move on.

• Forum CEO

A broken valve spring or valve way out of adjustment could be causing that noise and in turn giving you a rough idle or high rev vibs. If you know where its coming from back or front you can narrow it down. Checking the valves on the rear cylinder is a piece of cake, the front though is a nightmare! I did mine last winter and here is the write up.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/68807-vfr1200f-valve-inspection/

Thanks for the link to the valve adjust, I will be doing that this winter. Do you have any engine clacking that you can speak of? My bike was a demo (200 miles), so hard to say how bad it was beat up before I got it. i find it funny how the noise and vibs come and go from day to day or even pit stop to pit stop.

I came from a very nicely outfitted 95 FLSTN which had the perfect Harley shake so of course the 1200vfr seemed butter smooth throughout the rpm range. wouldn't engine problems trip one of the many sensors causing a fault code?

• Member Contributer

I came from a very nicely outfitted 95 FLSTN which had the perfect Harley shake so of course the 1200vfr seemed butter smooth throughout the rpm range. wouldn't engine problems trip one of the many sensors causing a fault code?

LOL. Honda motorcycle ECUs are brain-dead. The sensors literally have to be disconnected before you'll get an error. It's actually really pathetic.

The next bike I buy (whenever that is!) will have full OBDII capability.

Hi dwallen, unfortunately I am not an expert on your topic, however, I do live relatively close by (Sun Prairie, WI) and always looking for an excuse to tinker and compare bikes. I have a DAM exhaust and the flapper cable obviously removed if you would like to compare this with yours to see if this is the noise you are experiencing. I also have had good luck with local pop shop in the past on a different ride. I will be trusting them with my VFR 1200 for anything major and would recommend them to anybody.

vroddr. that would be really appreciated if we could compare bikes. I could meat you in SunPrairie as I lived there for several years. my engine seems to be getting worse and I am wondering if any of the US models have the swarm problem. given mine comes and goes and people complained about abnormal engine noise I am beginning to wonder. you can email me off forum at dwiall@litewire.net.

Thanks

Archived