Sierras Tour Redux with a little "adventure" at the end.

• Member Contributer

Wow, you really got some awesome riding out there. Incredible scenery. Thanks for the pics as I may never make it out that way.

Chuck

• Member Contributer

Thanks I love the shots of the twisty roads and great scenery!

My goal on every tour is to find new twisty roads or to enjoy old favorites like parts of Rt49.

2172034820099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Alaska is about the only place where turns are not part of the script for me.

• Member Contributer

We pulled into the Serrano Campground on the north shore of the lake in early afternoon. It is a federal facility so you California types do not have to worry about the new Gov shutting this one down. Fawnskin is just a little west of the campground for necessities if you need them or you can easily cruise around the eastern shore and access full service goodies in the Big Bear area. Normally, I prefer to walk after riding the whole day but...........it is what it is.

It had been another hot day with temps just touching 100 degrees in a few spots in the Mojave. Fortunately we were high now just short of 7,000 ft. Early on the trip I had been skimping on fluids but of late I had been hydrating well from a camel back bladder in my tank bag and with more ice water from my cooler.

Tank bag bladder.

2740228260099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Today, I had also donned my cooling vest as we gassed up in California City soon after we had dropped down from Lake Isabella. I did not want to get dehydrated, although historically I have done well in hot conditions whether on the bike or on the bicycle.

First things first ...we called George our buddy to see how he was doing on his fast track home to San Diego. He sounded great which was a relief as we were a bit worried since his early departure that morning. Then he told us he was in an ER in Chino Hills but OK!!!!!!!!!!! His son was already there. Of course there was only one logical conclusion ............we felt like crap....almost as bad as him. We spent an hour justifying to each other why we were not there with him, but we could not!

Next we rode into Big Bear for some Italian food and to get some other "hydration" supplies.

Ice to keep cool.

2312119640099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

We discussed the route for the next day and decided to again head for altitude in San Jancinto via RT243 another California jewel. Tomorrow would be our easiest day ....good thing since there were only two of us left.

Next - "How does it feel?". "Like a Rolling Stone"

• Member Contributer

My last SPOT OK signal from the Big Bear Lake. There is a reason for that! And my tracks stopped too.

2287110600099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

At 0100 I was overcome by intense pain. That would be really intense! Despite the bigger tent (that I am so proud of :blink: ) this is not the place to have a Kidney Stone attack. Tip - do not do this on tour or at home for that matter. Fortunately I was able to figure out what the issue was in short order. And since I carry an emergency medication kit (first attack in 2010), I popped. But the powerful pain meds did not really work. Concurrently, I deduced cleverly that my "crisis" package should also include anti-nausea pills. The proof of that is left to the astute reader and ones bursting imagination.

At 0500 I could not take any more and called for my surviving buddy. Fortunately one of the campers next door also heard my wailing and .........................................drove us to the Big Bear clinic about three miles away. Thank you Zumo as of course nobody had a clue where it was or even if there was one!

2339616310099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

It may not be much for decor but the dope is great!! They took good care of me. Certainly not a B&B but a great breakfast nevertheless! Thank you.

http://www.bvchd.com/

After a bit when I had stabilized, I called my wife from the ER. It is always difficult to talk about such things with her on my road trips. For some strange reason she gets alarmed and that is why I did not even tell her the night before about our other buddy in the ER in greater LA.

She rushed to the scene from San Diego. An ignominious end to my VFR tour. Man I love that pickup and my bride tooooooo.

2354989330099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Epilog ...what do you do with a drunken sailor?

• Member Contributer

Bonus.... certainly was not part of your ride plan but glad for you on several counts.... 1) you have a worthy bride, 2) you have a pick up, 3) it happened on the last leg of your ride (presumably), and 4) it's treatable. Glad you have a good sense of humor.

Epilog ...what do you do with a drunken sailor? Can't help ya there.

Ernie

• Member Contributer

Bonus.... certainly was not part of your ride plan but glad for you on several counts.... 1) you have a worthy bride, 2) you have a pick up, 3) it happened on the last leg of your ride (presumably), and 4) it's treatable. Glad you have a good sense of humor.

Epilog ...what do you do with a drunken sailor? Can't help ya there.

Ernie

All true...............and you have to laugh a little at your circumstances sometimes when life throws you a curveball! After 2 surgeries, 3 ER visits, 2 procedures and 4/5 doctor visits (I forget), I am on the mend and off the narcotics. Now to plan the next VFR tour....as soon as I get permission from my bride. :sleep:

And Man I was lucky considering I could have been in the real boooooonnnnieeeees ...like Alaska or the Yukon or West Texas!

More on road emergencies next and a wrapup.

• Member Contributer

"Epilog ...what do you do with a drunken sailor?"

If I remember correctly, you shave his belly with a rusty razor, early in the morning (Razor -noun - a keen-edged cutting instrument for shaving or cutting hair. Not a phone.) But it really depends on which version you're listening too. If you had some surgery for this ailment, hopefully the razor wasn't rusty and neither was the scapel.

Glad to hear you're mending. How's you friend doing? What did he do?

I've ridden some of these roads on my way to and from Tahoe. Went through Lassen in July 2006 (?) during a 107 degree heat wave. I just wanted to sit at the top for a week and cool down. I fell in love with my Camelback that trip. Didn't have a cooler but folks in restaurants and sandwich shops were more than happy to let me fill the Camelback with ice. What a relief to sip some cold water without having to take off my helmet...

Looking forward to the wrapup...

Diana

• Member Contributer

GC both us are mending well although his fiance has not talked to me yet. :blush: He ended up spending about two days in the hospital while I just spread my visits out :rolleyes: over a couple of weeks . HIs son came up and then transported his bike back. Lots of casualties on this ride but kind of unusual stuff.

A shot from my 2007 Lassen tour. Coooooooool and a great walk in campground!

med_gallery_2144_2004_750125.jpg

The camelback does the trick. I used to freeze them for hot bike rides ..............cooling and then a cold swig when you were ready. I just wish my jacket was a little bit bigger and then I would wear it underneath for really hot MC rides. I use the camelback bladder in a liner in my tank bag and stuff it with ice if I anticipate hot portions for the next days rides. I have seen some "adventure" jackets with a built in camelback bladder. My cooler is always chilling a drink of some sort and if it is really gets hot say 105 I stick my cooling vest in there as well to recharge. Quite a shock when you put it on though!!! :huh: My cooler does double duty at night when camping to store ice.

I think dehydration may have contributed to my condition as I did not take care of myself the first couple of days.

Once again a fantastic trip report with lots of shots from the bars :fing02: What a beautifull and diverse scenerey.

You sure take a lot of stuff with you, I've never camped during a motorcycle trip other than to visit the Assen track for a race, and that's only for a maximum of three days so i don't have to bring a lot of stuff.

Sorry to hear about how the trip ended short. Hope you and your buddy get well soon and it is good to hear you have allready started thinking about the next trip :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Once again a fantastic trip report with lots of shots from the bars :fing02: What a beautifull and diverse scenerey.

You sure take a lot of stuff with you, I've never camped during a motorcycle trip other than to visit the Assen track for a race, and that's only for a maximum of three days so i don't have to bring a lot of stuff.

Sorry to hear about how the trip ended short. Hope you and your buddy get well soon and it is good to hear you have allready started thinking about the next trip :fing02:

Both of us are doing ok now.....but my wife may be a little concerned about my next trip!

Yea I have a lot of stuff. Maybe I need to outline all the crap I carry for grins. That would be a good project! Most of it I carry because of a lesson learned from a previous trip.

Archived