Seat.... Seriously?

Yokel

• Member Contributer

Right.

I am one that actually LIKES the feel of the stock saddle. It's roomy, fits my non-bottom like a kitchen mitt. Am I crazy in thinking this vinyl should hold up better? I've read and read where people have had theirs split... any of you guys seen this? It's the bubble appearing near the bolster at the back of the butt-section.

gallery_23869_6426_1407645.jpg

So... all the local shops are saying they can't recover a shape this complex. It's still under warranty, and I'd assume this would be covered... but I'd really like a permanent fix.

Suggestions?

I like the stock seat it's pretty comfortable even after racking up 245 miles on and off riding for the day but I really like how it's sort of slick for moving a little to the left or a little to the right no butt stick.

Evven the older VFR seat did this saddle skin delamination thing. Some of it happening within a couple of years you own the bike. Just a normal symptom of the seat wearing from use. I guess it's just a lot more visible on these more contoured seats on the newer bikes. The older ones were easier to fix as the shapes of the saddles were simpler. I'm not surprised on what uphoulsterer shops are telling you, but maybe if you look around enough, you might eventually find one that will take on the job. I suspect that the best fix would be to have stitches through the saddle padding at those valleys on the seat to hold the uphousltery down more permanently. That's how most aftermarket saddle makers construct their saddles. Honda just glud them down as a cheap manufacturing shortcut.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

Honda didn't just glue them down as a cheap manufacturing shortcut.

During the 7th gen intro they detailed the entirely new process being used to vacuum fit these seats together.

That being said, it is not holding up for you and you should immediately contact the local dealer and get a resolution.

Even if you just get a factory replacement seat under warranty, get one each time this starts to appear and perhaps, as your warranty nears its end, Honda will be persuaded to give you some cash for the documented failure of "X" number of seats.

Take that cash and use it to purchase whichever aftermarket seat you deem fits your arse best at that time.

just my $0.02 and you may keep the change.

Honda didn't just glue them down as a cheap manufacturing shortcut.

During the 7th gen intro they detailed the entirely new process being used to vacuum fit these seats together.....,

Yes they did, The best saddles are always constructed with multiple skin panels with seams and stiches at the valleys and shape transitions so they can take the stress and flexing that goes into those areas when the bike is ridden. Handa could not do the same for their saddles as building the saddles that way will cost so much more in labor and materials. That's why you pay lots for Corbin saddles.

The vaccum molding/skinning process you mention is broken down to a minimal few steps of manufaturing that keeps the cost of the saddles lower. It might have even eliminated the staples we used to see under Honda saddles which means that step in the construction was also eliminated. (Just saw a pic of the bottom of the 1200's saddle since I posted this response........I guess the staples are still there)

Beck

95 VFR

• 2 weeks later...

My seat has a weird green paint on it from the previous owner storing it in a garage owned by an 'artist'. Also, the front corners kind of bend out weird if you don't wedge them into their little slots pretty hard, though the stay put once they're in there.

Archived