Be carefull with rocks this time of year

• Member Contributer

Hi ,I rode up to Markleville yesterday to go flyfishing. It was a great day and ride up, a little windy,but still caught 12 lil lahatona cutthroats. I left @ 6:30 to ride home and had a great ride over carson summit(hwy 88) to mormon emmigrant trail. The sun was getting lower and I caught up to a pickup and was closing on him to pass coming out of a rt sweeper and I didn't even see a brick sized rock that he straddled,but got lauched about a ft into the air. I could tell the front was flat immediately, so I didn't make any sudden movement and started downshifting and braking w/ the rear.Got it stopped on the side of the road and luckily had cell reception to call home. The road just openned a couple of weeks ago and there are rocks from the winter left, so be carefull one newly openned seasonal roads.100_2269.jpg. Well the girlfreind drove up and got me, then we went home hooked up the trailer and went back and retrieved the bike and still made it to the Knot Hole for taco tuesday by 8:30. I also had recently bought a spare sent of rims from karhawk (itallion stallion) so was able to take the wheels and tire to performance cycle and they changed them out @ lunch.

• Member Contributer

Ouch. Glad you kept it up, and it's nice to have spares.

Rocks are a year-round hazard on 33, but even more so during wide temp swings, and/or wind. Gotta be extra careful when the shadows get long.

• Member Contributer

It was my fault for closing up to close to the pickup while getting ready to pass, but we all do it. Hopefully nothing appears w/ no time to react, hell I never saw it as I was scanning for oncoming traffic.

• Member Contributer

Thanks goodness you didn't crash! If you were leaned over....

I got my new 929 shock yesterday so I send out the stocker you loaned me, thanks

It was my fault for closing up to close to the pickup while getting ready to pass, but we all do it. Hopefully nothing appears w/ no time to react, hell I never saw it as I was scanning for oncoming traffic.

Not that it can't happen when we close up to pass, but by staying in the left(US)tyre track it will "hopefully" be less likely. Glad you were going to change out your wheels anyway, and good to hear you're ok.

• Member Contributer

I assume your girlfriend brought you some clean underwear? Glad nothing bad happened.

Rollin

• Member Contributer

I was on the left rear of the pickup, he must have JUST missed it w/ drivers side wheels. There wasn't any adriniline rush, just WTF was that and concentrate on stopping safely. karhawk glad you were able to use the shock to finish that beautiful bike, let me know how the Jaime modified shock works in comparision. Its all fixed and loaded for an overnight trip to Truckee and Incline to visit w/ my daughter and sis.

Archived