Front wheel swaps, small rotor bolt circle - 4th gen

evl_twn

Question

• Member Contributer

I searched everywhere and I'm not having much luck trying to figure out if there are better options for replacing a 4th gen front wheel. I know the 4th gen is supposedly common to the CBR F3 with the similar rotor bolt pattern, but is there anything else out there that is a direct swap? I've seen pictures of the VTR/Blackbird fronts, and I _think_ those might be similar but the Blackbird uses different bearings (6204, 47mm OD) than the VTR (6004, 42mm OD - same as the 4th gen).

6 answers to this question

I assume you're trying to find something lighter that will fit?

An F4/F4i wheel is the first thing that comes to mind, but not sure if they're much lighter. Newer stuff with USD forks/radial brakes will likely be lightest, but the offset could be an issue.

I'd focus more on the rotor alignment and worry less about the bearing situation. It will be easier to adapt bearings to an axle vs. rotors to forks.

An aftermarket 17" 900RR wheel will fit.

• Member Contributer

That's what I'm trying to get away from, the 16" front on the RC45. It's identical to the CBR900RR and NR750, but it's getting harder to find 16" tires. I know the 4th gen wheel fits, I'm just trying to find out what else is out there. I haven't had much luck finding a good used 4th gen front wheel, and I don't want to spend huge $$$ and get a new OEM front. I see the Chinese manufactured fronts on the bay all the time, but I'm concerned about the quality.

• Member Contributer

A brand new VFR750FV ('97) front wheel is about $600 delivered. If I had an RC45 I would not hesitate to fit the best OEM solution...

(NR wheel is 16", but it only has five spokes, btw)

Ciao,

Archived