Dead bike (elecitrical issue) , but clock still works

Guest txmatt

Guest txmatt

Hey guys. I decided to take my 95 VFR on a trip... made it to my destination fine, no problems at all. But after I checked in to my hotel and went to move the bike to the garage, it would not start. Not just not starting, but nothing at all, no lights or anything. I did, however, notice that the clock is still working. I've asked a colleague who is coming tomorrow to bring a mulitmeter so I can get to checking things, but I was hoping you all might have an idea of what's going on.

I was thinking main fuse (probably in combo with an R/R issue) but is the clock not on the main fuse?

Ignition switch?

• Member Contributer

You have a clock? I have a US market gen 3 which = no clock. Did you check fuses already? I suspect dead battery, but that may be due to RR or stator. The clock has to take next to no power, not nearly as much as the lights.

Try to bump start it. If it runs well, its probably just a bad battery. If not, then you got stator or RR to worry about.

**also check for melter connections

You have a clock? I have a US market gen 3 which = no clock. Did you check fuses already? I suspect dead battery, but that may be due to RR or stator. The clock has to take next to no power, not nearly as much as the lights.

Try to bump start it. If it runs well, its probably just a bad battery. If not, then you got stator or RR to worry about.

**also check for melter connections

Thanks for the suggestions. I got the multimeter and did a quick check:

Battery is at 12.6v (Seems pretty good to me, certainly couldn't explain totally dead)

Main fuse OK

Haven't found burnt connections yet, but I also haven't taken off any fairings yet. That will have to wait till tonight. If anyone has any thoughts on this I'm all ears. Got to get this sorted out quick so I can order any parts I need and get it all together by the end of my stay here (thurs/friday).

Clock is still going strong :/

Thanks in advance,

Matt

• Member Contributer

Accidentally flicked the kill switch??? (been there done that....)

And yes, 4th gens have a clock.

Follow the + wire from the battery. It goes to another piece I forgot the name.

I had the same problem with my 4th gen. Battery was fine.

This piece was fried and occasionally would work. but when it didn't... I was SOL.

• Member Contributer

May i relate a story about my 4th gen,a ride out a,ride home no probs, next day no start just a click from the relay,volt meter showing 12 .6 to 4 volts.take off seat,check main fuse to find it blown.order new battery .charge up new battery fit new main fuse.have checked the other fuses all ok.no burnt wires or connectors.fit new charged battery showing 13 volts ,press the starter .starts up first touch.check out all the running volts all in spec.so its seems like my bike failed to start because of a shorted out battery.all is ok after a thousand miles .the battery was 3 years old.i date mark all fitted parts.hope this info helps you sort your probs out. :tour: ps didnt notice if the clock stayed working.

• Member Contributer

Mine did that... Turned out the wires to the right hand switch were broken and the kill switch was toast as well. Of course this was after it was totaled.

Thanks for the replies. Turns out the issue was the ignition switch connector, which was a bit melted and not making good contact. I replaced it with some spade connectors and the bike at least runs now. Hopefully is enough to get me home.

Archived