1984 VFkR resto begins today

TassieVF1000R

Best way is to have the rolling chassis in hand, and hang the bodywork properly, so you can tape off the sections where the paint lines will be.

Then you can get it symmetrical. Pretty tough to do with loose panels and no bike, especially when lines flow from one piece to another, which may not butt up against each other.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Hi again all,

Well, the latest development in the rebuild is that i have discovered a cracked/broken front brake reservoir.

On inspection, it came totally apart as it was cracked right through.

Does anyone out there on the forum have one sitting collecting dust?????

I have all the other parts, switch, lever etc, just need the reservoir.

Cheers and regards to all.

post-25008-0-45068300-1347751629.jpg

post-25008-0-99100600-1347751714.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks to Nate at 2topiacycles, I now have a replacement front brake reservoir. Back into build mode now. Should be getting the fork lowers and front guard back from the painter this week. Will then get the bike built to rolling chassis state and get into the handlebars an levers etc. cheers. Simon

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi all,

Plodding away at the rebuild, have refurbished all handle bar fittings, and now just need the fork legs back to get the bike to rolling chassis stage.

Problem.......I cannot get a paint shop down here to mix/match the paint colours, because according to them, i am not buying enough to warrant them spending time matching.

Can any of you guys that have painted or had your bikes painted provide me with a paint recipe .

If I can get the mix ratio or exact paint mix codes, then they will do it for me .

Other than that, does anyone know if any Honda cars from the 80's were painted in the same red colour, because Honda released car codes, but not bike ones.

Once again, any assistance is greatly appretiated.

Cheers Simon

• Member Contributer

I've taken some notes over the years on R paints and have this from my files, maybe it's a help. Italic comments are not mine.

1. Taffeta White #HA 00978

2. Electron Blue #HA 00980

3. Fighting Red #08P50-R134-PN

http://vfreek.tripod.com/id1.html

http://vfrworld.com/...-honda-vfr.html

ColorRite

Shasta White - NH138

Fighting Red - R134

Candy Aleutian Blue - PB127MU

I had them matched with PPG paint. Here is the info:

Honda Red - DBC3001 (Mars Red)

Honda White - DBC898 (Grand Prix Weiss)

Honda Blue - DBC103762 (Liberty Blue Mica)

vfrcapn again:

I used this powder coat red on my '85 R fork legs to match the original color. Diamond Vogel Bright Red #ET5394

This was a good match for the red on the fairings and the manufacturer makes a paint that matches the powder coat. Not sure it's a perfect match to the original paint but very close.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi all,

Life has got a bit busy, and the VF project has been on hold for the last couple of months.

I have had some problems with regard to paint shops mixing small volumes of paint for the bike.

In a nutshell,they won't do it.

My painter has been railroaded by the small number of suppliers down here, and at present we are unable to source the colours.

I have been considering going to the US market where you can buy premixed paint for this model.

See the below website.

http://www.colorrite.com

My project is going to start again in the new year.

A safe and happy new year to everyone on the forum.

Cheers

Simon

post-25008-0-17454000-1356672718.jpg

• 2 months later...

Looking good so far, kudos for keeping with it....that's my downfall for projects- patience! I try my best to find some, but can't seem to wait that long...

Having used Colorite many times (none recently though) nothing but good results. Odd local shops won't mix whatever you want, I've bought pints of custom colors many times.

Looking forward to your next update.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone at VFRD. I have been looking at this website for many years whilst working at my first resto/mods on my 83 VF750f, and I finaly have joined up here :woohoo: .

Love the 1KR tassie its going to come up real sweet im sure.

I will be hopefully adding one to my garage one day, just needs to be the right price and project for my liking.

Rgds

Archived