Zumo Programming

tc339

Since I dont have the funding to drop $650 on a GPS at the moment, my neighbor is letting me borrow his Zumo 550 for my trip to Canada.

My question is, is there a way for my to still create a custom route or add POI's? Or do I need some sort of software to do so? and if so, am I able to do it on a Mac? or does it have to be done on a PC. Im camping on the trip so I would like to add some more campsites and whatnot for along the way.

And on a side note, am I able to just load music on a SD card and play it through the Zumo?

• Member Contributer

You can create a route and waypoints on the Zumo the problem is jut the fact your working with a 3.7inch screen. MapSource is the program you can download off the Garmin website for free. I'm not sure how much you can do with it unless your friend has the unlock code for that Zumo unit.

As for music yup just copy it to the SD Card of 4gig or smaller, can be HCSD, but there is a limit of 999 songs I you load more the older units. If you put more than that it can confuse the Zumo and it may not play any songs.

• Member Contributer

Send HS a PM...he knows how to plan routes on google maps and then you could import (gpx format I think). You will need a cable to copy to the SD card I think.

• Member Contributer

The current version of Street and Trips from Microsoft exports files in GPX format which also work on the Zumo. Basecamp (Windows and Mac versions) is another product from Garmin which also can construct routes you can use. I construct one day routes. If you do not have a cable load the files on to the SD card.

I also believe this will work for you.

http://tripplanner.honda.com/

Currently I run an eight gig SD card on my Zumo. As has been stated you are limited to about 1000 songs ....note they must be in MP3 format. The songs sort much quicker if you put the songs in directories (I use album titles).

You can add POIs using Gamins POI application (free). All you need is a csv database and a gif image if you have one. The stock camping database on the Zumo is not great. I got my camping POIs from the poifactory.com

Lots of general info here............... http://www.vfrdiscus...-tales-of-zumo/

• Member Contributer

Speaking of Zumo's, has anyone had trouble with its charging in the craddle? I can charge it at home but when

I am on the bike, it won't charge. Any thoughts anyone?

• Member Contributer

Speaking of Zumo's, has anyone had trouble with its charging in the craddle? I can charge it at home but when

Only had that happen once..........cables from bike battery came off (off road riding).

Check out Zumoforums.com too.

harley davidson trip planner is an excellent planner.

http://rideplanner.h...ridePlanner.jsp

works great with my 660 and bro's 550.

one thing: it doesn't seem to interface very well with explorer. for me, it will only sync with mozilla.

People still use Internet Explorer??? :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

The mount isn't as waterproof as the unit is. I've had to replace 2 mounts as water gets inside and burns up a trace on the 5volt side of the power supply.

Or do I need some sort of software to do so? and if so, am I able to do it on a Mac?

I think Basecamp can use the maps already installed on the Zumo to plan your trips. Basecamp can be downloaded from the garmin website: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4449

If it doesn't work with the maps installed on the Zumo you can use this piece of free software to conveniently transfer a copy of your neigbours maps to your computer.

• Member Contributer

Just a note on BaseCamp and Mapsource as it sounds like you/The OP are new to Garmin routing software. Rumor has it that Mapsource will no longer be supported by Garmin so if I have to pick one I would opt for the Basecamp platform which is newer and has a Mac application too. Both Mapsource and Basecamp have a learning curve and I would not get into them unless you eventually were getting into the Garmin world. If you do these apps are very powerful and handy for complicated routes/trip logs.

Just a note on BaseCamp and Mapsource as it sounds like you/The OP are new to Garmin routing software. Rumor has it that Mapsource will no longer be supported by Garmin so if I have to pick one I would opt for the Basecamp platform which is newer and has a Mac application too. Both Mapsource and Basecamp have a learning curve and I would not get into them unless you eventually were getting into the Garmin world. If you do these apps are very powerful and handy for complicated routes/trip logs.

Okay thank you. yeah I just want something kind of simple to go with so I can maybe add in some campsites and plan out my route so its not taking me a different way.

• Member Contributer

Simple is....................I have always liked MSFT Street and Trips because it is so simple and is great for laying out a big trip...........and you can work your overnights into the plan. I still use it even though I routinely develop my daily routes with mapsource/basecamp. It is cheap and I also use it to cross check the POI databases in the Garmin maps ie how many cheap hotels are there really in that town.

One thing that sometimes is a problem with developing a route in any mapset that is different from the one loaded in the GPS is that there can be translation issues...the best defense is to add more waypoints to force your route to the roads you want. One cool thing about the S&T export to the GPX file format is that if you add "pushpins" to the S&T plan/file they convert to Zumo "favorites" (even if they are not in the route) which you can use to route on the fly with the 550.

Archived