Best Overall Communications / Music System?

Guest kwc

I am looking to optimize a solution that'll allow me to talk with my rider AND other bikers in a group, and when not talking, have the option of hearing tunes!

I guess some chatterboxes have 'auto-attenuation' of the music when someone speaks up?. i bought a cheapy ($135) bluetooth device for my helmet and it interfaces with my phones MP3 payer OK and the volume is adjustable fairly easily (can turn it down when you slow/stop) but the max speaker volume is not enough for HWY speeds due to wind noise in the helmet. Actually helped to use truncated foam earplugs - they attenuated the wind more than the music!

Anyway, i am kinda hoping to find a good long-term solution.

1. when i'm solo i want to hear no wind and music (when i want)
  2. when i'm 2-up I want to be able to talk with the passenger at-will, and when not talking for us both to be able to hear tunes
  3. When in a group or riding one-up with friends on their bikes , it'd be nice to be able to occasionally talk, especially if the music would 'dim' when someone spoke up

I have heard there are 'blue-tooth helmets' with all this built-in ... any reviews / experience?

I have a smartphone with music (MP3, etc0 player and bluetooth capacity) and it'd be nice to go wireless IF THE QUALITY IS GOOD. Otherwise wires aren't too bad.

Also thinking about a cheap short-term solution just for the upcoming trip that's just let me comm with my passenger. Its really nice to be able to say "look at that" while you are riding, and lets face it, yelling thru your helmets does not work over 5 MPH :)

Any thoughts mushc appreciated - i have about 3 weeks to "get 'er done" :)

Ken

• Member Contributer

I just bought a cheap set (Shark) from Amazon and for the $70 price each I couldn't be happier. Here is a small review

Rollin

• Member Contributer

Scala Rider G4. Fulling integrates with iPhone 4. Sound quality is very good. Phone conversation quality is very good. Voice commands as well as most apps including GPS work with the G4. Plus the open channel allow you to communicate with anyone else using a G4 that has that setting turn on as well. I cannot recommend it enough.

I've been using the Sena SMH10 and like it very well. A few growing pains at first, but everything is sorted now. Integrated with my iPhone 4S so it adjusts volume, skips songs (backwards and forwards), and can have Siri call someone if I want. It also connnects to my girlfriend which rides her own bike.

I use the ear buds clamp and custom molded ear plugs which blocks out wind noise.

• Member Contributer

I'm in the "looking mode" also.but I have a question.....

Are these devices generally "cross brand compatible"? One of my buddies rides with a Scala.Another uses a different brand. If I buy a unit that is not their brand - is it compatible? Can I synch with them for intercomm?/ Sorry for the stupid question but us old guys who are not tech savy... well you get the idea. Ernie

• Member Contributer

That's bunk isn't it. These things should be able to "cross-talk". To me that's the whole point. Nevertheless - thanks Billy for the insight. Ernie

• Member Contributer

Ya G4 is the best, but they cost.

And yes they should cross talk as they just use a FMS type of short range radio. But they don't.

Archived