Broken flapper cable

Guest fasterspider

Guest fasterspider

The cable on my V-12's muffler flapper valve snapped at the valve making the bike sound better all the time and since the bike is still under warranty, I am having Honda buy me a new cable that will just sit in the garage until I get around to installing it.

Has anyone here that still has a stock muffler had a similar issue with a broken cable? I could find no mention of it with the search.

Here is the best picture I can get with my cheapo point & shoot camera.

DSCI0717.jpg

I rode mine for about a 1000 miles with my cable disconnected. I liked it. Then I put LeoVince on and like it even better. It's a more refined loud. However, I liked the flapperless sound of the stock can a lot,

Ride safe

Mark

Disconnected my cable at the other end where the motor is located. Really quick and easy to do there and can be reconnected quickly. Just take of the right hand silver seat fairing, spin the motor by hand so you can get the end of the cable out of the retaining groove. Make sure you return the motor back to its start position or you get the yellow light flashing on dash. I then disconnected the battery and did the no throttle idle to let the ecu reset the emissions just in case it makes difference. Sounds a lot better.

Mick

I did not ask what you guys did about disconnecting the flapper valve because I had mine disconnected for a few months last year and connected it again.

I asked if anyone has had a flapper cable break or is my VFR1200F the 1st one so far that has had the flapper cable break?

I'm sure you'll get lots of helpful replies now.

yep. :laughing6-hehe:

Mother Honda built in a self destruct, so that it could pass the noise test and then auto-disconnect assuming the owner didn't take care of it.

I'm sure that EPA drone is following you now! Now disconnect one of the spark plug wires and the neighbors will think you got a Harley.

• Member Contributer

He did ask the right question guys........

• Member Contributer

You're right dutchy. I retract my snarky post, which wasn't necessary or appropriate.

Faster: I've had no issue with my cable, but I disconnected it after about 10,000kms so my experience is not very relevant in assessing its longevity.

I appreciate an honest answer to a simple question and the other day I had a crippling headache so my response was none too friendly when the answer was not where unwanted info was and I apologize for my shortness.

I disconnected my flapper valve in August '10 and had to connect it again because I was having lots of trouble with a defective ECU that eventually got replaced in July of '11 and the quietness of the stock exhaust has grown on me.

Honda ordered a new flapper valve cable for me and I don't have to pay for it because it is a warranty issue but, I will leave the cable off and put it with the rest of the stuff in the garage that I saved and still have in boxes. {aftermarket goodies}.

Oh yeah, those EPA noise police still can't hear my louder but, still cool :cool: VFR over the sickening sounds of those illegally piped horrible sounding V-Twin caveman bikes that over populate the San Fernando Valley and pretty much anywhere in the US, I am not too worried.

Had my flapper cable snap at around 40,000KM, replaced under warranty. I prefer the sound with the flapper cable attached. I was never a fan of loud pipes, don't want to offend my neighbors, when I start my bike on early Sunday mornings. If someone made quieter muffler than stock I would purchased one.

My new cable finally showed up, it is sitting on top of the tool box awaiting time to install it and Honda wants the old broken cable back.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add to this; I commute/white line/filter a lot on the VFR, and when possible I tried to get the valve to open in first because most drivers would notice me faster.

However, yesterday I detached the cable and there's a deep rumble that resonates between the cars now, even at 2k rpm. This makes a big difference in filtering, yet it's not so loud it would offend anybody. I also like the idea that when I don't want it to rumble, it's a 3 minute job that can be done with a hex tool.

Archived