6th gen built around rear shock? (more rant than anything)

pres589

• Member Contributer

Nothing like the trials and tribulations of others to motivate or instill fear.

I'm just waiting for my F4i replacement to arrive from Jamie D. I'm debating to either take it on myself or just take it to my mechanic buddy and say "here, how much"

2004, ABS.

I went looking for a thread with a bunch of pics, so myke_w or Q-Dawg - while you are at it, post up the procedure pics.

If not, I'll either post up my adventure or me handing money to Steve to just do it.

didit - were there ever any photos from your shock swap? I'm next in line for this - and have ABS too. For ABS models, the FSM sez to "remove the rear fender" and by that they mean then entire under seat tray. I suppose that's to fish the remote pre-load adjuster out. What a PITA. Were you (or anyone else) able to get the preload adjuster out while leaving the rear fender/tray in place? Anyone? Any help (especially photos) appreciated.

Cheers

• 4 months later...

For the 5th-gen people, it's honestly easier to just pull the entire undertray out of the bike and pull the shock out the top. I had the same trouble as others mentioned with getting the stock shock out the bottom, and pulling the undertray is actually a lot easier than you'd think.

For the 5th-gen people, it's honestly easier to just pull the entire undertray out of the bike and pull the shock out the top. I had the same trouble as others mentioned with getting the stock shock out the bottom, and pulling the undertray is actually a lot easier than you'd think.

^^This^^

I have my 5th gen torn down to almost the bare frame right now as a result of winter rebuild. I pulled the rear shock to replace with a DMS 929 shock & ended up pulling EVERYTHING.

Archived