Dead Bike 4rth Gen

Guest thetexan

Guest thetexan

Yesterday just as I left the house the bike just turn off. It is totally dead. It was running and went dead. Any ideas or how many possible scenarios could there be?

• Member Contributer

it's terminal. Please send me your fairings and dispose of the rest of the bike..

LOL

I'd check electrical first. Search and read up on the regulator/rectifier (also stator/battery) issues, and check the connector plugs for all those.

• Member Contributer

the manual -downloadable here on VFRD- has trouble shoot/testing pages

• Member Contributer

^^^ All are good places to start. A similar thing happened to me, it ended up being a bad RR. I'd recommend you start with a known good battery. Overlooking this step can cause lead to headaches. Don't ask me how I know!

Thank you fellers! I'll let ya'll know. Senor Burns, like everyone else who has this generation vfr I am always on the look out for fairings, but if I should decide to go in a radically diferent direction with the looks of the bike I'll let you know.

• Member Contributer

can't comment 100% on the 929 stator, but it doesn't appear to be a direct swap. I went w/ either an R1 or Gixxer R/R (can't remember which now) and haven't looked back... don't get a head of yourself too much - figure out what's bad first, before you start dropping cash. As I'm to understand, the stock stators are fine, just that when the r/r's smoke, they take the stators w/ them. I was lucky, my r/r gave me a few warnings before it gave up, so I only had to replace that.

I had this happen to me one time because I forgot to tighten the - battery terminal... vibrated loose. You probably would have figured that out by now though. I felt very stupid.

Archived