Lost a frankenbolt on my ride yesterday

• Member Contributer

Damn. That's the second time that's happened. Lost the bolt, collar and the spacer. Before I check with the dealer does anybody happen to have an extra one kicking around? Send me a PM.

Or I may go with a flush bolt instead.

On a happy note, I fixed this little oil leak my 95 had. Kind of sad seeing an oil stain beneath the Honda. After the ride I put a piece of cardboard under the bike, laid down on the floor and waited for the inevitable drip. I looked away and missed it. But I could see where it was coming from. I could see the oil drip forming on the bolt head of the oil pan. I reached in with an 8mm socket in the opening of the lower fairing and tightened it a titch. Next day, no more oil on the floor.

• Member Contributer

The very first ride on my VFR, three years ago, one of the frankenbolts rattled loose. I was less than impressed at the time, if I recall... Moral of the story, I'll take a look for the remaining one.

• Member Contributer

On my 4th gen, I know that the "frankenbolt" has two parts: a long bolt with a large head, and sleeve that fits over that with a shouldered end.

I rather suspect that the bolt helps the to hold the tail section in place, and that the shouldered-end of the sleeve helps to spread that load on that part of the tail section (rather than focusing wear on one small point of the opening). Just my impression; I'm no engineer.

I do not know if the 5th gen frankenbolt is the same as the 4th gen frankenbolt. (I seem to recall that it is, but I cannot confirm that.) If so, forum member realistdreamer recently posted an alternate Honda bolt that could be used as a flush-mount bolt (not a "frankenbolt"). See his post here http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/70565-what-are-the-specs-of-the-cowl-frankenbolt/

Good luck!

Ron

I used these as suggested in the referenced post. They work and look great. I own a 1999 5th Gen. Much better than the Frankenbolts. The 4th and 5th Gen Frankenbolts are different. The 5th has no sleeve. The 4th is a two piece with a standard bolt and a shoulder sleeve. They should be interchangeable. Go with the replacement Honda bolts from a Goldwing, I think. They are sweet. Order from Ronayers or Powersport Plus, etc..

90137-MCA-000 Replacement bolts

Archived