New here - Rebuilding my 97 and I have a couple questions

Hello all, I've been lurking for a while but finally decided I need to post since I need some help. Yes, I know how to use the search function, but I haven't been able to find the answers, so here we go:

Question 1. I need to replace the instrument cluster (aka dashboard, gauges, speedometer) since it's cracked and the circuit is destroyed. Since the 4th gen speedometer clusters are hard to find, has anyone tried fitting a 5th or 6th gen instrument cluster to a 4th gen? I can wield a soldering iron without hurting myself so I might be able to make it work, but before I buy a later instrument cluster has anyone tried it?

Question 2. Dumb question, but will any aftermarket clip-ons work on this bike? Or other model clip-ons? I don't really want the bars any higher, lower would be fine, but I'm concerned the aftermarket or other bike's clip-ons may hit the tank or the fairing. What's everyone running?

Question 3. I need some fairings - LH mid, LH lower, and some uppers. Found an upper assembly on fleabay from "ts-tuningschool", looks like fiberglass. Anyone have any experience with this guy or know who besides Thurn and airtech (and Honda) make decent replacement fairings? http://www.ebay.com/...r#ht_2118wt_179

• Member Contributer

Fyi, I have a couple of extra gauge clusters, plus mid panels I am in the process of fixing, and a one piece airtec(mids/lowers) sitting around, pm me if interested. I haven't tried any other so I am unable to help you with questions 1 & 2 The link you sent looks like fiberglass & is from Poland...I have heard alot of bad things about airtec, but The one I have works well! The panels are still available new just expensive....

Gary

With the 4th gen being carbed and the 5th gen being EFI, there is going to be a lot of differences in the number and function of the gauge wiring.

I think your path of least resistance is to get an identical replacement set, Gary can hook you up as mentioned above.

Aside from his creepy Hello Kitty fetish, he'd a good guy. :tongue:

If you are going the full mod or streetfighter route, some have used CBR900RR clocks and also the Koso gauges which are aftermarket.

Both those solutions require some fiddling.

• Member Contributer

In regards to question #2, you might look into www.convertibars.com, they are close to infinitely adjustable and would allow you custom fit them to your liking. They are a little pricey though. I cannot say anything to their quality but I had looked into them before buying my Heli-bars. I bought the Heli-bars because they were cheaper and I could more than likely resell them if I didn't like them. Where the convertibars, once they were cut to my liking, they might not have been applicable to someone else.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

I broke the dash in a crash years ago and found that I could piece the black outer face together with parts from other dashes that had the pieces I needed. Jig-sawed all together and did the same with the clear cover layer below. I used my good instruments as the third layer and all was cemented together with acrylic and urethane 2-part mixes. It looks flawless repainted and has worked fine for years. You can repair circuit boards with wire jumpers over cracked copper traces, cementing the fiberglass board with expoxy.

Same for the body work. Assembling broken bits into a good skin is time consuming but not really hard. Just use the correct plastic repair cement along with stainless steel mesh reinforcement. See Urethane Supply for materials and a great How To book.

Look at my posts of Louise and you will see what you can do. http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/gallery/album/5060-vfr-repaint/gallery_3259_5060_260933.jpg

Thanks a lot so far guys, I've got an overwhelming amount of help from lots of people on here. It's really great, hope I can give back some .02 some time.

I started researching the plastifix route and will probably give that a try. I just wish I didn't have to repaint it after fixing some of the finer cracks. I was thinking of trying to rebuild the existing instrument cluster, but it's pretty far gone and I'm not sure I have all the pieces. Rebuildable, but not easy (mounts are busted, side plastic broken, faces cracked, etc). Everything is fixable I suppose, it's just time and $, right?

• Member Contributer

I tried to PM you but your profile wouldn't open for me... Anyways, I've got a gauge set that I'd be willing to let go of. PM me for the price.. I'll do better than eBay.

I tried to PM you but your profile wouldn't open for me... Anyways, I've got a gauge set that I'd be willing to let go of. PM me for the price.. I'll do better than eBay.

PM Sent! This is great!

Seriously, this crowd is awesome. Thanks to you I'm finding almost all of the parts I need - and I thought I'd never be able to find them. I'm happy to help you clean out your garage/shed/kitchen cabinets/secret mattress hiding place of VFR parts. Here's the link to the list in the Classifieds: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/classifieds/item/697-wtb-4th-gen-parts-after-my-accident/

Archived