Another new owner

Guest Stroman

Guest Stroman

I'm over the pond in West Yorkshire and I've just purchased a new VFR1200FD so I joined the forum in the hope of learning a little more about the bike over the coming months. Previous bikes include Suzuki DL1000 V Strom (had two of these), a Blackbird, Yamaha Thundercat, Yamaha XJ600. I always liked the Bird but couldn't live with the riding position, too great a stretch to the bars for my liking, the VFR fits me much better. I'm still running it in but so far I'm impressed by the way the bike goes, stops and handles. After the V Strom, which is very top heavy, the VFR feels incredibly stable and 'light' on the move. I've just spent the weekend fitting a few extras Satnav, intercom, front & rear huggers, full SW Motech quick release luggage racks and a Datatag kit. Just need some sunshine to go out and enjoy it now, it's not stopped raining since I picked it up a week ago! To be honest I never really considered the VFR as it was out of my price bracket but the dealers have been knocking out pre-registered auto versions for about £8,500, over £4,000 off RRP, too good a deal to miss. Anyway, I look forward to getting more involved in the forum.

Warm welcome from another UK VFRD member, I have a Bird now after a host of different Viffers but thinking the VFR12 may be my next bike, although I'm loving the bird too much to be honest!

I know what you mean about the weather, strong hail showers over East Lincolnshire over the past few days makes for some interesting riding conditions!

I wanted a red one but they only had three silver ones left in stock.

The only thing I'm a little nervous about is that historically I have tended to buy bikes coming towards the end of their production runs, having had ample time for all the little niggles to be ironed out by the factories. As my new VFR is a pre-registered old stock bike (made in 2010) I just hope it will prove to be long term reliable. I know Honda has an enviable reputation for quality so all things being equal it should be good. I must say after removing the fairings the plastics are a work of art, although some of the fasteners appear to be quite delicate. The dealer already appears to have damaged the small plastic 'V' piece sitting in front of the lower portion of the radiator as it disintegrated when I took it off, with obvious signs of glue present where two pieces have previously been joined, hopefully they will replace it when I get chance to call in. Just need it to stop pishing it down so I can get out and put in a few miles. If ever there was a reason to move from England! (Texoz in Aus do you fancy a house / career / bike / wife swap?)

Congrats Stroman,

We finaly got some rain here. There were fire warnings for the last month. It's also been the warmest winter/spring on record.

Don't worry living in New England it's "If you don't like the weather.. Wait a minute..".

I hope you get some of our weather there. Then enjoy your new bike.

Cheers

Pete

I wanted a red one but they only had three silver ones left in stock.

solution: I ship you a minty condition red set of fairings and you send me those awful looking silver ones :tour:

At last it stopped raining today, a good job 'cause I was almost ready for doing a Noah. Managed to ride to work on the bike, sheer bliss, also had its first fuel fill, 128 miles until the reserve light started flashing, worked out at 44mpg, not too bad at all. Called in at the dealers on the way home and they have agreed to replace the snapped trim with no quibble at all.

• Member Contributer

Beautiful bike. Add me to that list of guys willing to trade you red body panels for the silver! Ha!

Congrats! Glad you're enjoying it. :tour:

I'm quite fancying a seat recover, Tony Archer in Huddersfield did the one on the Blackbird as per the picture, only £80, bargain. The VFR seat is okay for me but the wife will definitely find it too slippery, she hasn't been on the back as yet.

I've done 7500 kms since buying the VFR1200. I am liking it very much to ride, even with the slippery seat. How are you finding the DCT? Would you recommend?

Welcome. I had a 2007 Honda ST1300 and loved it, but it was a bit top heavy. I'd like to try the VFR1200. How are you liking it?

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the North Sea :tour:

Bit of a CAMRA man are you? :beer:

Welcome to VFRD from across the North Sea :tour:

Bit of a CAMRA man are you? :beer:

The odd pint of real ale may have slipped past my lips occasionally

I've done 7500 kms since buying the VFR1200. I am liking it very much to ride, even with the slippery seat. How are you finding the DCT? Would you recommend?

I think the gearbox is excellent. The only issue I've found at the moment is the well documented restricted power in the first two gears, it needs revs before it will fly, apart from that I'm very happy. When the first service is due I'll be asking the dealer to update the map which is supposed to address some of the problem.

Welcome. I had a 2007 Honda ST1300 and loved it, but it was a bit top heavy. I'd like to try the VFR1200. How are you liking it?

Strangely enough I chopped in Suzuki V Strom DL1000, despite weighing quite a lot less than the VFR it felt heavier due all the weight being so high up. The VFR is a doddle to ride, extremely stable and very well balanced even at low speeds. Just got to be a bit careful when doing full lock U turns, it's easy to get caught out with the DCT gearbox as you definitely lose some fine control without a clutch.

Archived