Spark plug install - Why was it so difficult?

My 1995 was bought recently. The previous owner stated the spark plugs were fairly new, but for peace of mind I decided to change them.

The factory manual on this site wasn't much help, but I also had a Haynes. The rear spark plugs were a breeze, but the front were a real pain for me. The Haynes stated (after bodywork removal) to remove the bolts on the bottom of the radiator, and then push forward. There was only one bolt on the left side, which was a radiator support. I removed it but there was no way it made the gap between the radiator and engine sufficient for me to change the plugs.

To cut a long story short, I had to remove the coolant rad hoses on both sides as well as two upper bolts on the rad (difficult to get at) before I could move the rad forward enough to gain enough space to remove the plugs. The main problem for me was the fan on the back of the rad, which made it difficult to get at the spark plug hole with my socket and extension.

I did numerous searches on this site, and could not find any threads advising how to remove the front spark plugs without difficulty. The only thing I did learn, was in future to do the plug change, and coolant at the same time.

The job is done, but I am sure there is someone on this site who knows a better way of getting at the front plugs. Any help for my eventual future plug change would be appreciated.

• Member Contributer

I've done the plugs on my 4th gen twice. Yeah, the rears are a breeze.

The fronts are a pain, but I was able to remove the 2 lower rad bolts (im pretty sure there were 2) and then after making sure the rad hose were free of the little slots that hold them in place, I could pivot the rad forward just enough to get the plugs.

Mind you, I have small hands.

I've done the plugs on my 4th gen twice. Yeah, the rears are a breeze.

The fronts are a pain, but I was able to remove the 2 lower rad bolts (im pretty sure there were 2) and then after making sure the rad hose were free of the little slots that hold them in place, I could pivot the rad forward just enough to get the plugs.

Mind you, I have small hands.

That didn't work for me. The problem with trying to do it your way was that the fan at the rear of the rad was in the way, and I couldn't get my socket and extension in the plug hole because of it.

Thanks for the reply.

• Member Contributer

I usually do a plug change with the valves, oil and coolant change. As you found out the space is extremely tight otherwise. Last time I changed the plugs by themselves in an attempt to get the bike started following its winter slumber. It can be done by swinging the radiator out of the way. There was only one lower bolt, the other side was a pin that it pivots on. I didn't have to remove any hoses but it wasn't easy.

• Member Contributer

I've done mine and I was able to reach the plugs after swinging the radiator forward. I used a 3 inch socket extention PLUS a simple universal joint extention. With the extra 1.5 " and extra articulation of the U joint, it is still tight but you can do it w/o removing coolant system parts.

its very possible, the factory spark plug tool makes the fronts really easy. remove all the radiator bolts then un-hook it from the hanger thats on the top right and it will give you enough clearance to get to them.

• Member Contributer

its very possible, the factory spark plug tool makes the fronts really easy. remove all the radiator bolts then un-hook it from the hanger thats on the top right and it will give you enough clearance to get to them.

:+1:

• Member Contributer

No, not so much. It's still difficult.

Yep, a lot of people look at the spark plug tool in the factory toolkit and laugh, but there's a reason it is what it is, because it works.

Yep, a lot of people look at the spark plug tool in the factory toolkit and laugh, but there's a reason it is what it is, because it works.

I suspect that the previous owner thought I got too good a deal on his bike, and left the Honda tool out of the kit. Probably spent days chuckling to himself at the thought of me trying to change the plugs without it, lol.

Archived