Lighting

Yokel

• Member Contributer

Alrighty, the time has come.

I use this bike extensively daily and work nights. I'm SICK of the crap low-beams... the high-beams seem to work okay. I commute at night and keep feeling like I'm outrunning my headlamps. (Yeah, I've adjusted it but am perhaps too nice to oncoming motorists... I don't want to completely blind them.) Makes for a nervous Yokel.

So, I've geeked about a bit and looked at some of the changes some folks have made on non-VFR bikes to either augment their current lighting or add auxiliary lighting. I'm thinking of going with some higher wattage bulbs in the current headlamp assembly, but I wonder if it would be worthwhile to wire in some small and super bright driving lights (under the headlamp inside the fairing above the front wheel, think I've found a workable mounting place). Has anyone done this yet, and if so, what did you opt to use? Suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

Just ran across these this morning and was thinking it would be nice to have some for the VFR. Haven't really looked into it yet. Make sure to post some pics if you find something.

post-24190-0-45520800-1333423285.jpg

• Member Contributer

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I had in mind for the VFR... Where did you find them D?

I ran across a few different brands that had some small ultra-bright stuff... PIAA comes first to mind... I really don't know much of anything about aux. lighting. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Oh sweet! Thanks for the links. Budgeting and education time... I need to get back under the fairing next month anyway to do some soldering/wiring... would like to get all of it at once!

I'll try and keep this as a bit of a "here's the current options" thread, so I'll post up anything of use I find.

Bright is not the only reason to buy a light for long distance viewing. Where the bright beam is focused is to be considered.

A lot of these small brights are only going to brighten the close in areas and won't give distance.

I'm just saying find a light(brand) that will show you a light chart of where it focuses, and not just find the brightest, which is what marketing is trying to sell now days.

Now... your stock low beams are going to be worse if they are aimed higher than level... look for the brightest point of the light (say on a brick wall, and measure the height of the actual light-bulb.... then measure the height (centre of the of the bright spot on the wall and make shure it's inch or so lower than the bulb itself.... then find an after market light that will project beyond your set up that isn't any higher than your stock light.

You don't want to give up being able to see something in the road 1 to 2 sec in front of you from about 40 to 60 mph.

http://www.piaa.com/support/aiming.html

• Member Contributer

Aux. lights like PIAA are good for creating third points of light ; but otherwise, they are like using candle power for dark running. If you need to see get a HID conversion kit-everything thing else is just overpriced ,outdated technology.

If you are outrunning your lights you need better lights or ...

• Member Contributer

Good point Monk...

I think my biggest issue (it seems at least) is with the actual design... like it seems that the low-beam coverage is impeded by the beautiful painted forehead on the front of the bike. There's a very defined "V" in the light pool ahead... I've got better perimeter range on my headlight and a dimmer spot dead ahead. Kind of a foolish design, but DAMN it looks neat in the daytime. :rolleyes:

Seems like a lot of the manufacturers have the range/spot listed... at least on the HID's and such... Anyone have any experience with the LED's? I've read that the biggest benefit to auxiliary lights comes with higher color temperature as they tend to silhouette things better and your eye can pick them out more easily. I remember LED's being a bit fuzzy...

Yes, HID kits are really where it's at. A friend of mine converted to HID on his R6 and I always let him lead at night to use HIS lights. Careful though, another buddy converted his V-rod to HID and melted his light housing! I'd make sure to call the manufacturer to go over the details, pros, and cons. Projectors are bad ass too though!

• Member Contributer

Wonder what's involved in a 7th gen conversion... I know that a couple guys on here did a 6th gen setup, surely it can't be that different.

• Member Contributer

http://www.motorcycl...D-Xenon-Lights/

Seems kinda cheap......... hmm...

The front end is a cyclops set-up, yeah... at this point 5 months into ownership probably the biggest shortcoming to me regarding this bike aside from the 1st/2nd gear shenanigans that Honda pulled on us.

Honda_VFR_headlight.jpg

That shows what I mean about the bodywork impeding the view from the bulb... silly design.

While I'm sure the HID's would kick out more light, I'm not sure that getting light past that furrowed brow would work all that well.

Edit: Looking at this angle I wonder if you could put some little suckers behind those open spots at the base of the windshield... I'd think they'd get enough heat dissipation there... :idea3:

I hate to say it for fear of lashing, but I just ride with my high beams on. People (and cops) here in Tusla seem to expect it from bikes. Almost ALL of us do it. If I ever get pulled over I'll tell the officer the truth. I want to make sure I can see any hazards (your classic AND frequent) Oklahoma chug holes for example. I've followed officers down Riverside Dr. on numerous occasions and recieved not so much as a second look when finally pulling up next to them at a light. If you feel it necassary, maybe adjust your high beams down a bit. IMO converting to HID is practically like riding with high beams on full blast anyway.

• Member Contributer

I don't care about lashing. I always ride with my highbeams on. I ride mostly at night. I know my highs are super bright on my 6th gen. I am aware of that, however when cars are coming in my direction I can't see anything in my lane of travel with just the low beams. So high beams it is. I ride like that mainly because I don't live in a city type area. The roads I travel are heavily wooded and there's lots of deer! High beams are a must in my parts. All about the safety of me.

I was actually asked about it by an older gentleman that I met through work. He asked why sport bike riders always ride with their high beams on and the only thing I could say to him was safety for the rider. He was actually mad about it til I told him I do the same thing to ensure I get home to my wife and kids safely every day. I want people to know I'm there. When they high beam me back, I know they know I'm there.

I live in the city. But just as you described, I can't see squat when there's oncoming traffic. And here in the city there's ALWAYS oncoming traffic! I've always done it and I always will! After I find several hundred $$$ for a conversion maybe not....MAYBE.

• Member Contributer

@ Anik-

Do you notice that having those auxiliary lights mounted that low reduce the range of the light?

Regarding hi-beams:

I commute in the metro at night... I've found that people constantly flashing me when my brights are on have caused me pretty much to be temporarily blind. I'd rather run the low beams and be able to see a little than to run highs and get beamed (pun intended) by oncoming HID's. :(

The only time I run high-beams is when there's no one in front of me coming or going......... Yokel, makes a point about if I'm running highs into the face of someone they could blind me back, they made the low beam law so ppl won't blind each other. If I needed more light than I think it should be accomplished by installing the proper lights that will do the job without blinding others. I've seen though the years that this basic concept is slowly going to the way-side as more and more ppl just do what they want. On the other hand I'm not running a legal hi-beam headlight in my Jeep, it's 2 100w bulbs, with 2 85w PIAA "flat top" beams for fog, the good thing is no one gets all that in the face from me, for no other reason than it's driving/riding with a responsible attitude for other road users.

• Member Contributer

@ Anik-

Do you notice that having those auxiliary lights mounted that low reduce the range of the light?

Regarding hi-beams:

I commute in the metro at night... I've found that people constantly flashing me when my brights are on have caused me pretty much to be temporarily blind. I'd rather run the low beams and be able to see a little than to run highs and get beamed (pun intended) by oncoming HID's. :(

these are wide angle spot lights so no issues. Also installed a dimmer - so can control the brightness ...:)

03. Fork Light   LED   In The dark

Your stock headlight as probably a cheapo replacement, do the easy thing first and go buy an H4 SilverStar Ultra bulb, you'll be surprised at the difference in light output.

Good point ....

• Member Contributer

Well, as with anything, start with the cheapest thing first (as per recommendation)... New bulb in current system and we'll see how that works.

I either need to raise my expectations of a headlight, or I got one that works better than all of yours does. One of the first things I noticed during my first night ride on this bike is how good the headlight is.

What exactly is it that those of you who have an issue with the light are finding? Dim? Length of projection?

Archived