Tank removal on 96 VFR750?

Guest cobiker

Guest cobiker

Looking for a "how to" on this because I've having probelms figuring this out. Removing a tank shouldn't be this difficult. :-(

I have removed the bolt holding the rear of the tank, but there's something on the front holding it in place that I can't see. Do I just need to pull on it a little harder?

Want to check air filter and spark plugs which have always been done by local dealer.

Many Thanks,

After removing all connections under the tank and closing fuel valve, lift up slightly on the rear of the tank and slide rearward. The front of the tank has two rubber plugs that fit pretty snugly into cups on the frame in front of the air box. It shouldn't take too much more than some wiggling back and forth and some swearing. Good luck.

• Member Contributer

After removing all connections under the tank and closing fuel valve, lift up slightly on the rear of the tank and slide rearward. The front of the tank has two rubber plugs that fit pretty snugly into cups on the frame in front of the air box. It shouldn't take too much more than some wiggling back and forth and some swearing. Good luck.

There's a sleeve that the bolt slides in that can get hung up on the frame mounts. Sometimes you have to take a screwdriver and centre it. The tank should lift right up after that. And make sure you don't lose the two rubber blocks under the tank.

• Member Contributer

And make sure you don't lose the two rubber blocks under the tank.

:+1:

Same for the rubber plugs up front, do not ask how I know this.

Lift tank up a bit and pull backwards while wiggling it. Best stand over the bike (with seat removed), cos when in frustration you pull a bit harder, you donot tip the bike over....

• 2 weeks later...

And make sure you don't lose the two rubber blocks under the tank.

:+1:

Same for the rubber plugs up front, do not ask how I know this.

Lift tank up a bit and pull backwards while wiggling it. Best stand over the bike (with seat removed), cos when in frustration you pull a bit harder, you donot tip the bike over....

I guess this is why my tank is hitting with a metallic bang when the bike bounces - any idea where to replace them? I figured something was left out when I replaced the tank on my bike but couldn't figure out what it was.

• Member Contributer

I guess this is why my tank is hitting with a metallic bang when the bike bounces - any idea where to replace them? I figured something was left out when I replaced the tank on my bike but couldn't figure out what it was.

RonAyers.com is a popular online parts resource, though I've never used them. Here's the link to the 94-97 fuel tank: http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/FUEL_TANK_94-97/MakeID/1/Make/Honda/YearID/38/Year/1997/ModelID/4643/Model/VFR750F/GroupID/143972/Group/FUEL_TANK_94-97. It's #16 & #23 you need, though in my recollection, I only have #16. It has a groove that slides onto the lip of the tank edge. In any event, the parts are relatively cheap.

• Member Contributer

and I need 1 of #17

I wonder if they will ship to the Microtel Inn in Franklin :tongue:

• Member Contributer

One of my rubber plugs that fits into the cups up front disappeared into the engine area as I pulled it off once while cleaning my air filter. I searched for that #@*! thing for an hour. I just bought a rubber "cork' from my local Ace Hardware that was the same diameter as the original piece and used an Xacto knife to form another one. That has been on there for about 6 years with no issues. Who knew motorcycle repair included whittling rubber bits? I don't know how much Mother Honda charges but Ace was less than a buck.

Archived