You're supposed to hear your fuel pump, right?

• Member Contributer

When I turn my ignition on, I don't hear my fuel pump. The reason why I was paying attention is that when I changed out my fuel filter, fuel wasn't getting sucked into it, it was just trickling in. But she runs just fine. If it wasn't working at all, I would have thought she would suffer from fuel starvation. Maybe its only on when the bike is running?

No.

You can't hear it when the engine is running or while cranking, too much other noise.

If you want to hear the pump click as soon as the key is on, you'll need to do the pump relay bypass mod.

On the carbed bikes, the fuel pump only runs intermittently, and emits a light tick or click. You might not hear it at all, but you would probably feel it when touching the pump.

Try draining all carbs through the float bowl drain screws, then buttoning the drains up, then turning the bike on and trying to start it. The fuel pump should definetly run then.

Also check for voltage at the pump while you do this, Tie in a meter so you can watch the action when you turn the bike on.

• Member Contributer

Good to know. On my FZR and my brother's Duc (both carbed), the pump is on all the time when the ignition is on. I'll take a look at her and see what I see. Thanks for the advice.

The fuel pumps on our bikes don't prime when you turn the key on, they only start pumping once you hit the starter button, but when it runs it buzzes plenty loud enough to know its operating. They also only run long enough to fill the bowls then the pressure of being full stops it until they start to drain again. If you are going from empty bowls after having the carbs off, the best thing to do it unplug the fuel pump connector and jump power straight from the battery until the pump stops, then you know you're fully primed and ready to go.

The pump is definitely running if the bike is running for any longer than a minute, they won't run because fuel can't flow through the pump without it being on.

Archived