Leak from 3 Way Brake Line Joint?

ECHO

• Member Contributer

Looking for the groups advice.....

So - this issue was noticed back in late August last year. I'd noticed some pooling of darker fluid on the right side inner front wheel after a week off of riding. A small amount but noticable. Not to many potential sources of darker fluid - motor oil, brake fluid, clutch fluid or fork oil - right?

Did a hands on check of hoses, brake master cylinder and around the forks. Master cylinder was clean as were the hoses coming down to calipers but the right front fork had some build up around the plastic seal/cover. Also showed a bit on the front fender near the 3 way joint.

I'd assumed it was the fork seal as the build up was pooling on the inside of rim and based on the angles that was the assumtion? So - off to my local shop for new fork seals and fresh brakes front and rear and new tires.

Problem solved? Not so fast........

Rode a few more weekend after that without issues or signs of leaks and she goes in hibernation for the winter season. Got her out last Saturday for a nice stretch and spirited ride without issues. Ready to ride after work tonight I find pooling again and the tell tale stains on the fender.

Just need to know what really needs to be replaced or checked. If the seals are still bad - the work is still under warranty and can have them replaced (again) or if just the 3 way joint?

The brakes feel fine - not mushy or sluggish.

Pics:post-20159-0-59670500-1332389204.jpg

post-20159-0-32822600-1332389249.jpg

post-20159-0-61294200-1332389283.jpg

• Member Contributer

If it was brake fluid, wouldn't the paint be falling off in chunks by now? If the paint is fine, it's probably something else ie blinker fluid .... not sure what but something else. Or is there brake fluid that doesn't hurt paint?

If you thoroughly clean and dry the 3 way and the fork seal, and clean the fender, the next time you see something, you can run your finger along the back of both the 3 way and the fork seal, and see if it's wet again.

• Member Contributer

I thought the same about the paint and did the clean and observe plan when it was noticed back in August, hence the fork seal replacement.

Would a leaky seal from right fork even make a trail in that direction?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

• Member Contributer

Fork oil tends to have a really ugly smell, while brake fluid is somewhat sweet.

Also, check your brake fluid reservoirs to see if either/both are low.

Stick a wrench on that fitting and see if it's tight.

• Member Contributer

I pulled the fender off to get a better view and found lot's of grime at that mounting point as well under the fender.

Did a good clean and wipe of the area and will monitor for signs of leaks.

Rear resevoir is with limits and front was just above the window so I topped it up. Just how full is too full for the front resevoir?

Checked the hard fitting nut on that 3way joint and was fine.

So - if the root cause is brake lines, what are the recommendations for OEM or upgraded lines? Sources?

Theres no too full IMO. I fill it up sometimes to the point when I cap it some squeezes out.

I'd upgrade to braided steel lines, they are fairly reasonable these days. I have Goodridge lines on my bike, and also ran a dediicated line to each caliper, which isn't completely necessary, but I like it better. You have the added benefit of eliminating that juction block too. All it takes to do it that way is a dual line banjo bolt and an extra crush washer. And the two lines, of course..

Also, I'm 95% sure it is the brake line leaking. If it was fork oil it would take the path of least resistance and go down the hose and down the leg. By looking at your photo its apparent theres brake fluid dripping off of the bent steel line coming out of that block, and it looks clear-ish, which is more indicative of brake fluid. If you didn't want to buy parts, it may be as easy as tightening that nut with a line wrench.

• Member Contributer

Update after cleaning and a 20min in town ride and visit to mechanic who replaced the fork seals last August -

It does appear to be coming from the inside right fork just under the dust boot. Rode about 5 miles to his shop tonight and did some "emergency" braking on the way to work both the brake and compress the front suspension in hopes of producing a leak for verification.

Get there and after and a mild amount was sweating from the inside of the fork near that plastic boot/cover.

He is willing to replace the seals again and stands behind his work - however I'm not keen on chasing a mystery by replacing the seals only to have the same issue once again. Just don't see how it could be the same fork, same spot after replacement.

He suggested it could be an inner fork bearing that is causing it. I look to the expert opinions here to verify or dispute this opinion. I like this guy and want to trust him - but really need a second opinion from some VFR experts here.

Brakes line would be great but need to track this issue first. Thanks guys -

Archived