Coolant in oil.

Guest jesuisjustin

Guest jesuisjustin

I have a 2003 VFR800 that seems to be leaking coolant into the oil and has a slight clicking noise that clicks faster as the rpms increase. I have taken the gas tank off, taken off the air filter and there was a creamy sludge in one of the thick rubber hoses going from the plastic box to something (not sure what it is) and I don't know where the leak is. If I run it for 5 minutes or more the rpms will continue to rise slightly until it ticks over at about 4000 rpms. When I turn the engine off I hear a fizzling noise, like something is escaping somewhere and evaporating/boiling as it hits whatever is super hit in there. I have heard that to have a blown head gasket on a 2003 VFR800 is not common. What could I do to fix this?

• Member Contributer

Sure looks like a head gasket to me from your description, but then internet diagnosis is not always best when it comes to stuff like this.

• Member Contributer

A leakdown test is a good way to diagnose a bad head gasket. If the gasket's bad you will find air bubbles in the coolant. A small amount of leakage past the valves and rings is normal, but not past the head gasket. The ticking sound wouldn't be from a bad gasket though, so sounds like you need to do some more investigation. If there is internal engine damage (bad valves, piston, etc), the leakdown test may also reveal other problems. There's lots of hits on a Google search of the topic.

• Member Contributer

what does the oil in the sight gage look like? if your crankcase breather tube has some moisture in it, that is pretty normal. it tends to mix up with the oil and get frothy. and what about your coolant levels? is there any funny floaty stuff in your rad or coolant bottle?

are you running the engine with the airbox cover and tank in place? a couple pinched/disconnected vacuum lines will play havoc with your idle rpms, and if you have your filter out, there will be all sorts of neat sounds coming out of your throttle bodies as you shut down.

you might have the clicking cam chain tensioner syndrome. many different approaches to this, but i used some dino 5w40 mc oil and never looked back.

Depending on where the leak is, you will have oil that looks like a milkshake, and more of it, or perhaps less oil which is perfectly clean, but oil in your glycol surge tank.

You may not have a leak at all, but the breather hose to the airbox could be showing condensation. How is your coolant temp while riding? Is your thermostat OK?

If the engine is running cool, you will show more condensation in the crankcase breather hose to the airbox.

Archived