avantages for 929 shock?

Guest JeffLaurence

Guest JeffLaurence

What are the advantages of the 929 shock over a stock 1990 vfr shock? As i understand it the 929 has rebound and compression damping, and is rebuildable, oh yeah and costs alot less?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

The only features the 929 shock has that your OEM unit does not is external compression adjustment and a remote reservoir. Your stock shock is, in fact, rebuildable just like the 929 unit. The cost of a 929 is always going to be more because the first step would be to convert it so that it fits your bike. Your stock VFR shock can be revalved and resprung. The same upgrades installed on the 929 shock will net you better performance. If you are looking for added adjustabiltiy and extra performance the 929 is a great option.

I saw an adaptor made of hollow square steel tubing, with the bottom mount turned 90 degree- turning the bottom mount 90degrees doesn't affect anything in side does it?

BTW I am a machinist, making one of these up is no problem.

Jeff

Adjustability!!! IMO I would never waste the money to have a stock VFR shock rebuilt period unless you are doing a full original restore job. Your basically spending the same amount of money to rebuild a VFR shock vs the 929 or any other adjustable shock, but receiving a lessor return on your money by not having the extra adjust ability. Whether it's JD or Ohlins... once they set-up the shim stacks, that's it with a VFR shock! You can't make simple valving changes for things like loosing/gaining weight, full bags or riding Two-up.(some rebound adjust on VFR shock).

A spring change to meet these changes would be best, but being able to tweek the valving can be enough to make a big difference in how teh bike works for YOU.

If you have any fab/mechanical skills at all (or a buddy) you can make the Simple mount spacer to run a 929 shock for less then $10. Any shock that you have sprung and hopefully valved correctly to your weight will be a huge improvement to your VFR! Having the extra adjustability for people like me who play with it is even better. Same money, spend it on a better shock! :tongue: BR

• Member Contributer

The only features the 929 shock has that your OEM unit does not is external compression adjustment and a remote reservoir. Your stock shock is, in fact, rebuildable just like the 929 unit. The cost of a 929 is always going to be more because the first step would be to convert it so that it fits your bike. Your stock VFR shock can be revalved and resprung. The same upgrades installed on the 929 shock will net you better performance. If you are looking for added adjustabiltiy and extra performance the 929 is a great option.

I am in need of a replacement spring and this re-valve i suspect on my 929 conversion.

At the moment things are bearable, but nothing as good as i have had on a vfr750 replacement EMC emulsion shock.

Am now considering- is it worth paying for a re-spring and re-valve? Or shall i just buy a new shock and loose the adjuster from the top of shock that i use to make it fit?

Does loosing weight from my bike want to be taken into account when buying a new spring? Any idea on the costs to do this?

If i was the other side of the pond i guess i could send it for a fix?

• Member Contributer

Adjustability!!! IMO I would never waste the money to have a stock VFR shock rebuilt period unless you are doing a full original restore job. Your basically spending the same amount of money to rebuild a VFR shock vs the 929 or any other adjustable shock, but receiving a lessor return on your money by not having the extra adjust ability. Whether it's JD or Ohlins... once they set-up the shim stacks, that's it with a VFR shock! You can't make simple valving changes for things like loosing/gaining weight, full bags or riding Two-up.(some rebound adjust on VFR shock).

A spring change to meet these changes would be best, but being able to tweek the valving can be enough to make a big difference in how teh bike works for YOU.

If you have any fab/mechanical skills at all (or a buddy) you can make the Simple mount spacer to run a 929 shock for less then $10. Any shock that you have sprung and hopefully valved correctly to your weight will be a huge improvement to your VFR! Having the extra adjustability for people like me who play with it is even better. Same money, spend it on a better shock! :tongue: BR

ah cool.. looks like you valve for weight then?...

My bike is a 1990- doesn't have the mount that goes vertically through the cross tube-- mine has two "ears" hanging down and a

large bolt and nut goes through both and the top shock mount.

What I need is a way to lengthen the bottom mount-- - I have seen one made out of hollow square steel tubing( with the bottom shock mount turned 90 degrees> I'm guessing there's no issues with turning the bottom mount 90 degrees?

Jeff

P.S. I'm a machinist- this is no big deal.

There are some points to be considered:

Nearly all shocks can be rebuilt even if not originally designed to be rebuilt with custom modifications, the real question is would the money to rebuild a shock that was built to a price point & has a higher degree of failure before another rebuild is warranted a good option.

Bottom line it is an individuals decision & as always money is a big factor but sometimes it's better to look at the big picture to make a better informed decision.

1. Suspension techs make allot more money rebuilding shocks than there mark up from wholesale to retail selling you a quality aftermarket shock.

2. Installing a shock that needs custom work to fit to an application it originally wasn't designed for has it's draw backs notably your bikes designed suspension travel.

3. A shock like the 954 design are definitely a better design & have more adjustment than a standard VFR shock but they use a rubber bladder for the compression remote res to separate the oil from the nitrogen charge & unfortunately they leak pressure over time (aftermarket shocks like Ohlins, Penske use a piston with an O ring).

4. The 954 shock or any shock not specifically for the VFR will need internal modifications to suit the vfr for best performance which is sole reason to upgrade so your still spending a large amount of $$

It is understandable people wish to save money & not all can afford say a purpose built shock that will perform better & should out last any standard rebuilt shock before needing a rebuild that there also designed for with off the shelf spares available, factory shocks don't have spares in most cases, parts are made or soured from other secondhand shocks. So the big question is how long do you intend to keep your bike for & do the math yourself what in the end over the life of your bike is cost effective.

I didn't get the dogbone from the 929 when I got my shock so I had to use the shorter bearing sleeve and make up two spacers (.140" each) and bought a bolt with a 10.9 rating . I was wondering if this should be strong enough or should I order a new, longer inner needle bearing sleeve . should I use an Allen bolt? Ideas? I want to use the best I can.

Thanks,

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't get the dogbone from the 929 when I got my shock so I had to use the shorter bearing sleeve and make up two spacers (.140" each) and bought a bolt with a 10.9 rating . I was wondering if this should be strong enough or should I order a new, longer inner needle bearing sleeve . should I use an Allen bolt? Ideas? I want to use the best I can.

Thanks,

Jeff

I have a 1.536" long bushing left over from another dogbone link. PM me your address and I'll drop it in the mail. Paypal $5 for envelope and postage would be appreciated. The part is free.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Jeff - I think you'll find that what I do with the 929 shock addresses all of your concerns. I adapt it such that it's a direct replacement for the original VFR shock. As you note, the lower mount for your VFR requires a clevis (some call it a "fork") style mount. I take care of all of that during the conversion process.

Archived