High right exhaust 4th Gen

Tcsc

Been looking in to putting a high right mount exhaust on my '96 VFR for a while now. Seems the only company making a 'kit' is Staintune which sells the pipe and S-bend for $700 (US or Aussie). Given I am in Australia seems sensible to get the Staintune set-up but am wondering if I can get something a bit cheaper. I am not fixed on Staintune. Have searched the forums - saw the awesome TBR gear that was sold just recently....

Think I'd have to get a slip on and get the S-bend fabricated. Any comments?

As for slip ons, D&D seem too loud, Delkevic look nice but are they too cheap? Anyone used Screamin' Demon pipes? Another Aussie brand based in Perth.

Cheers

The Danmoto exhausts are ridiculously cheap! $80 for a carbon pipe. Is that even possible?! They do say at one point on the website that they are a straight through pipe with no baffle and 'sound like a tin can'.

Have got a good local fabrictor for the mid pipe here in Adelaide - http://redline-exhausts.com.au/ - apparently very good if anyone is interested. So might buy a half decent pipe from somewhere and get on with it.

Thanks for the help!

• Member Contributer

The Danmoto exhausts are ridiculously cheap! $80 for a carbon pipe. Is that even possible?! They do say at one point on the website that they are a straight through pipe with no baffle and 'sound like a tin can'.

Have got a good local fabrictor for the mid pipe here in Adelaide - http://redline-exhausts.com.au/ - apparently very good if anyone is interested. So might buy a half decent pipe from somewhere and get on with it.

Thanks for the help!

I fabbed a high pipe and had it chromed. I repacked the D+D with SS wool and ceramic blanket material, then added a low resistance baffle made of one inch perforated straight-through SS tube that had two perforated SS two inch discs welded on the outside. The sound is the best I have heard! I found the stock D+D too loud and harsh....impressive to the rubes on the roadside, but gives YOU a headache. Now very happy with inexpensive home-brew solutions. Go for it!

• Member Contributer
Not a kit, but if you have someone who can weld...... IMG_0267-1.jpg:tour:

Nice, Dutchy....

• Member Contributer

I modded the D+D and am very pleased with the sound. No high rappy sound, is mellow at idle, and at cruise is loud enough you can hear the tone of it, are able to judge revs. Not headache provoking as the clapped out D+D was. When I opened it, there was burned and hardened fiberglass that acted like a wall outside the perforated 2" straight-through core. By re-wrapping with SS wool and ceramic blanket material, and adding a hollow spud, I have low resistance to flow, but well moderated sound. When you pull a full throttle run it lets loose and bellows that great V-8 NASCAR sound that I love. You can turn heads if you want to.

The spud is easily removed and can be trimmed to give the tone you like best. Here is a diagram of what I did. There are several internet discussions on opening D+D cans.

D+D mods

Motad in the UK have relaunched the Venom range. I got mine last year off them for just £80 as they were promoting them. Road legal (but with removable baffles) it sounds and looks good, particularly for the money. Only comes with a short, low-level link pipe though, so you'd have to get one fabricated for it. They might be still promoting these.

post-21184-0-04514100-1326549591.jpg

I would try Megacycle. I have a standard pos Staintune and love their work. My dad has a Megacycle on his Triumph RS 955i. Beautiful sound. Quality pipe for good price.

Welcome from VIC!

No love from Motad on the Venom for a 4th Gen it seems?! Not that I can tell anyway.

May well give Megacycle a buzz though!!

TBR still looks good, as does a cheap ish Delkevic. Not sure I am brave enough to drop $80 on a Danmoto!!

Thanks for the advice all.

Archived