Lascar Voltmeter install on a 5th gen

mello dude

• Member Contributer

Did a Lascar voltmeter install on my 5th gen. I liked it because it just requires a single hole to be drilled wherever you put it. I used the 2 bolts that hold down the tank as the mount location and made a couple brackets out of 1 inch alum stock from Lowes Just rattle canned the black paint. Havent decided if I like the spot or not but its just a tryout for now. Probly go for powder coat on the brackets later.

Wiring wise, I used the tailight to power a relay and am switching the pos lead (fused) from the battery to meter. Ground on the meter is ground.

Pics

Meterclosefront1.jpg

13volts.jpg

Relay mount

relayrear1.jpg

Relay wiring

relayview1.jpg

i liked mine...until BR took me on a ride in a hurricane....water will get in it if you don't put some sort of contact paper or shrink over the top and make sure the gasket and wire hole on the bottom are sealed.

• Member Contributer

i liked mine...until BR took me on a ride in a hurricane....water will get in it if you don't put some sort of contact paper or shrink over the top and make sure the gasket and wire hole on the bottom are sealed.

Thanks!

:cool:

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Cool. I'm down. This (and the Talus thread) looks pretty convincing. The Lascar on the tank bolts looks very tidy. I like the "no holes" install. (I guess I have a problem with committment.) I do have a couple questions about the wiring though:

Seems like direct to battery would be fine. Honda designed the clock to always be on. Pretty similar power drain I'd suppose. But just what are the practical advantages of a relay? Mello Dude, can you specify the unit and where you got yours?

What about Tightwads "Accessory fuse panel kit" or similar? How does that work exactly?

• Member Contributer

On wiring I have a fuse to positive side of the battery. I decided to ditch the relay in favor of a simple rocker switch mounted under the seat. In this set up, now I can check the battery before I power up the bike.

Switchrocker.jpg

• Member Contributer

• 7 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I did a bit of a rework, so since I took it apart, I thought I would show some pics how the brackets go together..... parts courtesy of Lowes

tank pre mount

Tankpremount.jpg

meter and flat alum - paint stripped.

metercleanedup.jpg

bottom bracket strip

Bottomplate.jpg

mounted with spacers

plateandspacers.jpg

Buttoned up

assembled.jpg

:beer:

Archived