Staintune... but open to suggestions

Guest Rock

Hey guys,

I'm pretty close to buying a 6th gen VFR800 tomorrow, its spanking new condition 21k kms on the clock, shiny and red but it is bog stock standards :( I will want to upgrade the exhaust (cans only), get a K&N filter and a Powercommander. I see people have uploaded their own custom maps here, thats awesome! I'll come looking when I get the PC sorted out.

Anyway, the cost of a new set of Staintunes is a bit off putting, although I had one on my last VFR (98 VFR800) and absolutely loved the sound, I am open to suggestions for a cheaper alternative. Or if I can find a set second hand (I'm in Australia). Also what is the difficulty level of fitting them myself? I'm good with a spanner and can fix most stuff as long as it isn't too deeply bedded in the engine bay.

Thanks,

Rob

• Member Contributer

You can fit them yourself. I would say it takes a moderate amount of time just positioning stuff before tightening it down. I did it myself and I am not much of a mechanic. I would not be particularly concerned about buying a second hand set of staintunes because they are stainless and shine up quite nice. They also don't need repacking.

They may not need repacking, but the packing (such as it is) does pack down with time. I've had my '01 7 years, and it had a new Satantoon on it when I bought it. In the last couple of years it's definitely got deeper in tone and less raspy.

But you probably already know that....

• Member Contributer
I am open to suggestions for a cheaper alternative. Or if I can find a set second hand (I'm in Australia). Also what is the difficulty level of fitting them myself?

Staintunes sound a tad different on VTECs than they do on 5th-gens - just be aware of that.

As for installation, for a stock bike it's a bit shitty, but here's the process:

• Remove rear wheel
  • Remove license plate from mudguard
  • Remove mudguard (this is the shitty part)
  • Loosen exhaust clamp (underneath the swingarm)
  • Remove seat
  • Remove exhaust hanger bolts (6mm allen key, 12mm spanner needed)
  • Lower exhaust down (noting it rotates around the header pipes)
  • Rotate the exhaust left and right on the header pipe while wiggling it until it comes off.
  • Installation of the Staintunes is a reversal of the above!

• Member Contributer

Staintunes are definately expensive, but if you plan on keeping the bike for some time they are a good choice. I installed a set on my 2003 VFR. If I can do it, anyone can. I have about 34,000 miles on my Staintunes and they look and sound like new.

Gday Rob,

In the exact same spot, my vfr'er is white and have had it for about 5mths, love it! Am in the market for a new exhaust myself. As I live about 45kms from the actual Staintune factory I'm caught between them and something a little more 'exotic' ie Leo Vince, Remus etc. To my surprise the local dealer was not terribly helpful, staintunes cost about $1300 and Remus about $1400 no luck on leo's cost yet. The YouTube vids for each brand all sound quite similar to me but I am leaning a little towards the Remus at the moment mainly because they make sensational car exhausts... Just my two cents.

Travis

Remove your cans

Take them to the local stainless auto exhaust guy

And tell him what you want

They wont have a eu/triangle thing,but theryre well hidden

So no-one will know...unless you get straight through pipes

You'll save a fortune and get cans to your exact spec

And if you have any probs ,you'll be able to pop back in

This is what i did with my gen4

Sounds lovely

Cost £120

Passed 3 mot's since and several police checks

Because its still fairly quiet (very staintune) ,no-one gives it a second look

• Member Contributer

I have the Two Brothers "Stash" system. 10K miles and still sounds great. Yes, there is only one side active, but believe it or not, the other side I use for a disc lock, S100 / towel, and it is 'perfect' :smile:

As others have said - simple tools and a little effort gets them easily installed. It's definitely a "1 beer job" - assuming you aren't riding afterwords :tongue:

I think I am going to visit Staintune @ Mittagong in the next couple of weeks and have a first hand look at the current system for a 6th Gen and make an informed decision. Will post feedback as soon as.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after visiting Staintune I decided they were the ones for me. Build quality superb and the look is sensation, I accept that this is quite subjective but I am very impressed with the end result. Spuds out and the bike just grumbles like a nicely tuned V8 Torana! It has seemed to even out the power delivery and after 20 minutes on the bike I didn't want to switch the key off. Highly recommend at this stage. As for cost... cheaper than Remus, leo's & Scorpions $1200, this included discount given from dealer who sold me the bike.

Millsy

Archived