Pittsburgh Raceway Park today

• Member Contributer

I rode to the drag strip today just to see what my VFR could do. This was a "test and tune" day and also "Gambler's" racing. I was just going for the "test and tune". It was 35 degrees when I left, and 45 minutes later I was there... pretty cold, but ready to go. I had missed the first round of time trials for bikes, so I had to wait about an hour. Just before the bikes were going to go, a fast car crashed into the guard rail and flipped, so that delayed things another hour.

I was determined to not wreck my bike doing this, so I planned to take it pretty easy on the launch so I didn't burn my clutch or do a wild wheelie. If you've never drag raced a bike on a track, it isn't like leaving a stoplight. The track is VERY sticky where the car tire tracks are and it's very slick in the center of the lane where it is more greasy/oily. I've done this a few times before and I know that the track does not forgive mistakes.

My first run there was a turbo Hyabusa in the other lane. We both did nice, smokey burnouts to warm the tires, then I lined up toward the inside of my lane in the middle of the car tire track. Pre-staged, then staged, and the lights started coming down. I was more concerned with controlling my launch than cutting a good light. Once I was moving and had both feet on the pegs I went full throttle shifting at 11.5k rpm and ran a 12.07 at 113mph. (I should note here that I'm 230 lbs so consider that extra weight as a boat anchor, lol) The Hyabusa ran a 9.8 at 139.

My second run was a bit better as I was more comfortable with the track and I beat a 200HP Harley with wheelie bars (his transmission broke...) I ran a 11.95 at 114mph. That was good for me and I headed home as it was getting into the late afternoon.

So now I have some baseline numbers so I can retest in the spring after a winter of mod projects.

BTW, everyone loved the VFR and I got lots of compliments. 25-30 people stopped by at the pits to ask about the VFR and it's history. Lots of smiles...

post-23306-0-18811800-1320542462_thumb.j

post-23306-0-00491900-1320542480_thumb.j

post-23306-0-12705300-1320542521_thumb.j

post-23306-0-86595000-1320542558_thumb.j

• Member Contributer

So, has anyone else drag raced their VFR? I'd like to know what times and speeds are 'normal'.

Any of the supercharger guys do quarter mile runs yet? I've seen the awesome dyno numbers, but how does that relate to measured performance?

• Member Contributer

I'm not sure we even have a drag strip in the Netherlands................ :tongue:

But our neighbours have "Autobahn" :tour: A 4th gen can do 235 kmh (GPS measurement)

• 2 weeks later...

So true about launching at the strip. It is very hard to modulate the clutch. The tire just grabs and wants to wheelie.

One thing that helps is to get off the line softly. Keep your legs out until it's time to hit the next gear. Trying to get your legs up early can cost a tenth or 4.

Our local strip is so tacky it will cause your boots to stick to the pavement.

Ricky gadson says this is the best way.

It is so cool how many people know nothing about the vfr. I always say it is a detuned superbike with comfort, ala rc30, rc45.

• Member Contributer

So true about the sticky track, like walking on glue. Most of the guys there had 'air shifters' so they only had to press a button on the handlebar to shift. That way they could leave both feet down for the first shift.

I was cleaning the mess off of the underside of my bike this weekend and I had the mufflers off... wow it sounds great with no mufflers LOL

Archived