RC212v replica....maybe the vfr750rr that never was??

Guest onespeedpaul

Guest onespeedpaul

I just realized this section of the forum existed, so i thought i would do a sort of cross-post and share a few ideas.

first off, i see a TON of you peeps like the RC45 and replicas, but i really like the RC212 and so wanted to do a replica....or it could also be looked at as a vfr750rr that never was...

anyways, to me the latest gen cbr1000rr was very very close looks-wise to the rc212 (high skinny tail, blunt nose, near vertical side vents) and cheap race fairings for it are a dime-a-dozen (call me crazy, but to me it's the best looking superbike since the 916 debuted, definitely the way of the future design wise) so that's the bodywork i chose to run with....also i wanted it to lose some substantial weight on the cheap, so that's where my choice of components come in to play...

first off: rotational weight, i chose to go with a decent used pair of 6-spoke rc51 wheels, and 520 chain conversion mated to 954 forks in the front and a 900rr swingarm/954 shock out back.

out back, the VFR single sider with wheel/caliper/shock complete was a full 20 lbs. heavier than the rc51/900rr/954 combo (~49.8lbs vs.30.1 lbs on a bathroom scale) about the same story for the front, although i binned the bent vfr fork tubes before i had decided weighing them would be wise...the two front wheels with rotors attached also have a very noticeable heft difference, so between them and the fork assemblies probably another 5-7lbs easy.

as far as static weight loss, it's not quite as important, but i'm losing a fair share of it on the cheap so: a set of race fiberglass is alot lighter than the ABS oem stuff (by how much i'm not sure since my bike was totaled and any useable fairings had already been long sold off),

also i'm using an 08+ cbr1000rr seat and subframe, and front fairing stay (compared to the heft of the steel rear subframe and dual seat, steel front fairing stay, i'd say there's another 15-20lbs easy) also ditching the stock muffler and it's mount by welding in a piece of vfr800 exhaust tubing to use a danmoto carbon race can is worth another maybe 20lbs...ditch the center stand, and about the heaviest OEM piece left is the gas tank, but that will have to stay til my aluminum welding skills are more up to par and i can make a smaller lighter fuel cell...

anyways, that's my story....the bike is pretty well mocked up, just have to wait a little bit longer for my household goods to arrive and i can work on fabbing the subframe mounts, making a new clevis for the shock, mount the fairings properly, and get the bushing for the cush drive made and it will be good to go mechanically, then strip it all back down and paint/powdercoat most all of it....

with that, here's how it sits currently:1025111629-00.jpg

Very promising build. I'm loving all the superlight 4th Gen stuff here lately.

I swapped to a 2002 R6 tail/subframe, and the whole thing with seat, pillion cowl, lights and wiring is lighter than just the original metal subframe... I really like the idea of knocking another 10kg off with a CBR swingarm/wheel, but I just like the look of the SSS too much to part with it.

Why don't you run a CBR1000RR fuel cell and plastic tank cover?

• 9 months later...
Guest Michelangelo

I was excited to see this thread! Whatever became of this project? I'm especially interested to know how you got the 08-11 CBR1000 tailsection to fit? Was it difficult? Would love to see some mods.

I am working on something that is along the same lines : to build the VFR750RR that never was and restore a bit of the race heritage to an already great bike. Got a great deal on a mechanically flawless yet cosmetically challenged bike, called up sharkskins and had some CBR1000rr fairings sent out. Combined with suspension and wieght improvements and some trick paint to come later, I figure I'll be sitting on the "next" generation of Honda Interceptors. Mine is a bit more on budget, being in college and whatnot, so I opted for rebuilt firestorm forks, RC51 calipers, and CBR rearshock. Still a marked improvement. I'm keeping the single sided swingarm because its iconic, damn the weight right? I was inspired by a few digital concept peices that really sparked my interest even more. So far things are on schedule more or less and I managed to shove a size 6 girl into a size 2 dress. I don't know how your bodywork fit up, but it fits the gen 4 like a glove.QESlO.jpgO74hs.jpg122-1104-01-o+honda-rvf1000r-superbike+.jpg