Do You Have a Joe Rocket Alter Ego Jacket?

filterfool

• Member Contributer

I am considering a Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket.

I live in Northwest Florida and this time of the year it's cool in the morning and hot in the afternoon.

It would be nice to have a jacket that would be solid in the cool/cold but have the mesh avalibility when it warms up. Also, it would mean one less jacket in my closet..

Any experience or evaluation would be welcome.

Thanks

filterfool

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I hope I'm not too late with my contribution. I have this jacket and I really like it. I have mostly worn it without the outer layer (Waterproof shell) or with the vest (Inner liner) due to the warm So. Cal. weather. However I did have to use the outer layer a couple of times when the early morning rides I had to do were cold and misty and it did a great job of keeping me dry. Mind you this was just a mist and NOT rain, so I cannot say how well it works in that condition.

As far as the main jacket (vented) it works very well with our warm weather! However as soon as the chill comes in, there's very little non-vented parts (mostly the sleeves) to keep the chill off. All in all I am very pleased with this and I do feel very comfortable and secure. The look, feel and quality appear to be very good. I have had it for a few months now and do not see any premature wear or feel like it will give out early. The only other area I have not tested it out is in a fall (knock on wood), but the protection seems to be in the right places and feels pretty solid. Since it is textile, I would image that one pretty decent fall would require a replacement.

Cheers.

all i know about joe rocket is that their quality varies greatly from jacket to jacket, i've had friends with torn jackets in weeks, and frayed ends in literally days.

as for protection, i question a jacket that cant hold itself together under normal wear.

I have had one for the last 3 seasons and only thing that did not hold up was the velcro on the wrist (outer layer)....it is rubber bonded to the velcro that let go in season 2. being in Canada i mostly wear the full jacket and it has served me very well. Caution on the "water-proof" claims,...I still put my sidi covers on as I still get wet with liner in plus anytiing in your pockets will get wet! All in all it is a great option for all types of weather

• Member Contributer

I should have also noted that I have the Alter Ego 3. It is a little bit more $ than the 2 and is a different type of setup all together.

Well, I have the Alter Ego pants and I am very happy with them. I bought them because I have three Joe Rocket jackets and I have no quality issues with any of them. I have one mesh jacket, the lucky full textile jacket with the textile sleeves that zip off to reveal mesh sleeves and the full leather Blaster 4.0 jacket. I have been riding with the mesh jacket for four years and it shows little wear. I tend more towards full leather these days, but think the alter ego wear is excellent and I would recommend it!

• Member Contributer

I have had the jacket (2) and pants for three years now, and am impressed. Very versatile, but without the liner, it is in no way a waterproof jacket.

I really HATE the waterproof liner idea. The entire jacket gets soaked, and you have to remember what's in your pockets or you'll regret it.

• Member Contributer

Thanks guys. The compairison between the Alter Ego 2 & 3 is very helpful. Based on these reviews, I think I am going to just suck up the extra dollars and buy the Alter Ego 3.

I will probably be selling my Joe Rocket Balster 2.0 texile jacket and my Joe Rocket Jordan mesh jacket. Both have served me wll but I like the idea of having just one jacket w/ more versatility. It's that much less to worry about on a tour.

• Member Contributer

I've got a Alter Ego 3 and love it, not overly warm on cool Ontario spring and fall mornings but I can get a sweater on under it, or my heated vest with no problems.

But ya waterproof not happening, event with the zip in liner you still feel wet, because the jacket weighs a ton, once water hits it. So I still have an over jacket rain suit.

• Member Contributer

I have had an Alter Ego jacket and pants for about 3 seasons. I have had a number of problems and don’t really recommend these items. The concept is wonderful and they work well when it’s very warm out. I find the plastic liners way too warm and never use them, but instead use a frog togg suit when needed.

I do like the cooling offered by the zip off section on the pants, but my zipper broke near the bottom and I had to glue and mechanically bind it together so it is still operable, but not very convenient as I must unbuckle and then drop the pants a bit just to take a leak. A design flaw tends to twist the belt buckle when you sit on the bike.

The main front zipper broke on my first jacket and I was able to replace it cheaper by buying one on Ebay than having it repaired. I had also scrapped one of the sleeves on some rocks and trees and it looked pretty ragged so replacing it made sense. Also, the snaps on the collar unsnap most of the time when handled. The zipping and unzipping does take some time and you do need a place to store the parts you take off.

All in all, I do wear it when it’s very warm out, but prefer my Aerostitch Darrin Light the rest of the time.

Jim in Colorado

Archived