5th Gen - Best replacement R/R & battery - What have you got?

Guest jeeters79

Guest jeeters79

I have recently begun the VFR owner's rite of passage - dealing with the inadequate stock charging system on my bike. In my case, the R/R has 1 3/4 feet in the grave, with my (original 1999) battery right behind it. I need to replace these obviously, but would like to hear what everybody else has used and their opinions on what they chose.

So whatcha got?

(great thanks in advance to all, BTW :fing02: )

If your battery is original, you should kiss it before you throw it out because that is phenomenal.

I am running a Yuasa YTZ-14S which is an Absorbed Glass Mat style battery. It is meant for the ST1300 but can be used in a 5th gen by putting a 3/4" spacer underneath the battery at the bottom of the battery box.

It's a BIG improvement over the YTX-12BS that came with the bike.

Others are using the newfangled LiFePo batteries, and they are certainly small and light, the specs look good, but time will tell. It's too early for me personally to make a call, I'll let others be the lab rats on that. Besides, my AGM is still going strong despite me being a dombass and killing it flat by leaving my key on at the Nelson meet. :rolleyes:

As for the charging side of things, the new Compufire R/R is what I would go with, along with a new OEM stator and Tighwad's VFRness, if I were in need of those.

• Member Contributer

What he said!

If that battery is from 1999 then what makes you think the R/R is stuffed? Batteries arent really suposed to last that long. Have you done any diagnostics on the R/R specifically?

For what its worth, I'm using the "newfangled" MOTY and it really struggled yesterday to start my RC51 on a chilly morning. Was fine for the remainder of the day. AGM's may still be the better option for a little while longer...?

• Member Contributer

After trying all of the "newfangled" batteries (Moti and Shorai) I would suggest you stay with a good AGM battery. I'm not sure one of the a for mention batteries didn't cause part of my problems.

Archived