Stainless Headers for 2nd Gen -- am I SOL?

Guest RedEye

Ebay is awash in cheap Delkevic and expensive Motad bits for 3rd gen and newer, but I've had zero luck finding anything for the old '86. I'd like to put a lightweight 4-2-1 on the old girl eventually; my understanding is that most of these systems for 2nd gens used the stock headers and just grafted on a 4-1 collector. Fabbing up a 2-1 pipe to graft onto the stock system just aft of the headers wouldn't be too tough either, but either way I'd still be stuck with the beat up 25 year old headers.

I guess my question is: are headers from any other years (or other bikes) even close to fitting? Having to chop or extend a bit to get things to fit isn't a huge problem, especially if my only other option is to piece together the whole setup from scratch using SS mandrel bends.

How do you mean beat up?

Are they dented? Or just rusty? If they are not that bad, why not sandblast them down to white metal and get them Jet-Hot coated?

Then, you could custom-build some midpipes to use an exhaust can of your choosing. Would probably be easier to do a dual can setup, owing to the way the stock headpipes are configured.

Don't forget a crossover pipe aft of the suspension linkage to boost midrange power. Makes a world of difference.

The headers aren't in terrible shape structurally but they definitely need a refinishing. That's not a problem, but I'm sure they weigh a ton if they're like the stock pipes on my other bikes. New mufflers would be a quick and easy (but relatively expensive) way to cut weight by quite a bit, but I prefer a single exhaust if possible. The less stuff hanging on the chain side of the bike the better, and one muffler is half the weight and cost of a pair :smile:

I've found an old Laser full system from an '88, if the price is right I think I'll pick it up. There isn't a whole lot of info on the FJ that I can find but the relevant differences so far seem to be a different centerstand from the '86 to accommodate slightly different piping (I don't have a centerstand so not an issue) and bolt-on alloy passenger footpegs/exhaust hangers (don't care, I'll probably be ditching the stock subframe eventually anyway). The headers look similar enough that I'm sure a bit of welding and a big enough hammer could sort them out :tongue:

• Member Contributer

This is for an '86 VFR750?

If so the headers are already stainless.

The pipes on my old 2nd gen were pretty ratty looking but some autosol polish and alot of elbow grease got them looking like this:

img1294r.th.jpg

img1293c.th.jpg

img1292l.th.jpg

I believe Motad in the UK still makes stainless headers and downpipes for RC24s. Ciao,
Sure, if I want to pay as much as I did for the bike :tongue:
This is for an '86 VFR750? If so the headers are already stainless.
Interesting, I certainly wouldn't have guessed from looking at my bike. I thought the $125 Akra system I got for my Blackbird looked bad, but the Viffer's headers set a new low. I can't tell the difference from the mild steel pipes unless I use a magnet.

• Member Contributer
I believe Motad in the UK still makes stainless headers and downpipes for RC24s. Ciao,
Sure, if I want to pay as much as I did for the bike :tongue:

Fair point. So you probably wouldn't want to see http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HONDA-VFR750F-VFR750-RC24-MOTAD-EXHAUST-HEADERS-/110716673511... :tongue: (New, they cost over UKP350 incl. VAT)

Ciao,

Archived