New Tank Bag

hottrodd7

I almost always use a tank bag as I like to have a spot to throw my junk. I've wanted to try one of the ones that attaches to a ring on the tank, so I just got this one from Givi (t480 easy lock). It keeps the bag off the tank and therefore no sratches, etc. Just got it a week ago and so far it's awesome, Just thought I'd share!

tankbag.bmp

post-19840-0-71468300-1309309213_thumb.j

I almost always use a tank bag as I like to have a spot to throw my junk. I've wanted to try one of the ones that attaches to a ring on the tank, so I just got this one from Givi (t480 easy lock). It keeps the bag off the tank and therefore no sratches, etc. Just got it a week ago and so far it's awesome, Just thought I'd share!

I have been eyeing that exact bag. Do you have any pictures of it on the VFR?

• Member Contributer

I have been eyeing that exact bag. Do you have any pictures of it on the VFR?

I just got one too. I was looking for big, but it sits back a bit too far for my taste. Makes laying on the tank uncomfortable, even when it is not expanded. My old Chase and Harper was much wider, and it was flatter when not expanded.

It comes with a rain cover, which implies that it isn't waterproof - my old bag could sit in thunderstorms all day and not leak.

It does the rest of its jobs well (quick release, sturdy, good map pocket with recess for GPS/phone, lots of pockets, big volume). I'll give it some time

Not so great pics on mine:

gallery_20267_5459_24632.jpg

gallery_20267_5459_4699.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Now that I've had a T480 a while:

Pros

- It has the right volume for me, fits all my kit for everyday riding (commute) without expanding it: Gore tex, first aid, Honda tools, repair kit, bungees, toll pass, registration, etc.

- The quick release mechanism works well, very fast on/off, and the bag sits fairly close to the tank (relative to the SW-MOTECH). Gassing up is a cinch now.

- It fits nicely inside one of the Honda hard side cases. That solves the problem when I stop around town and want it more secure. In fact I've been leaving it in the left side case all the time, and only take it out when I need to stow something else.

Cons

- I'm not thrilled with the top map window. It is very stiff with only a side zipper, so it is difficult to reach in.

- The little GPS pocket buckles when you stuff the bag, they provided a small block of foam about the size of the pocket - now I know what it was for.

- I wish it sloped on the back edge even a little. I like to lean forward when accelerating hard off the line and I can't with this bag.

- Definitely not waterproof without the cover. The top zippers look rubbery, so I thought it had a chance, but the side zippers leak. Would be OK if caught out on a ride, especially if you were moving. But after an hour of sitting in the parking lot under a heavy downpour things got wet. I might try to rig up a skirt of some sort like my old Chase and Harper bag.

- The rain cover is kind of dorky, but what do you expect out of a rain cover?

- I can't hear the "clack clack" they claim happens when the bag seats on the mount. I jerk it around a bit after I think it has seated to make sure. Would hate to have it pop off when riding.

• 2 weeks later...

So far, I've only used the bag for a short 300 mile day trip, so my review is somewhat limited. It is larger than I thought it might be, but then I always carry too much stuff so I'll fill it up! It is very sturdy at speed and the main reason why I bought it is it doesn't sit on the tank like my old magnetic one. I"ll be take a 2500 mile trip down to the Dragon in September, so I'll have a better chance to "live with it" for a week or so.

Have any users of this bag moved the mount to the rear? It is adjustable. Moving the mount to the rearmost position will move the bag forward.

Have any users of this bag moved the mount to the rear? It is adjustable. Moving the mount to the rearmost position will move the bag forward.

I've left it in the factory position--might try to the move you suggest, but so far, it seems to be OK for me

• Member Contributer

Thanks, I just moved it forward as far as it will go and got an extra 1.5". Made some difference, it's more comfortable now. No interference with handlebars etc, in fact there's quite a bit of room still (especially if the rain cover pouch were removed).

I'd still like it forward a couple more inches, might try to rig it later. But this way it's acceptable. We'll see after a few rides.

gallery_20267_5459_4795.jpg

gallery_20267_5459_5932.jpg

gallery_20267_5459_42246.jpg

Not much change visually, still more room to go forward.

Thanks, I just moved it forward as far as it will go and got an extra 1.5". Made some difference, it's more comfortable now. No interference with handlebars etc, in fact there's quite a bit of room still (especially if the rain cover pouch were removed).

I'd still like it forward a couple more inches, might try to rig it later. But this way it's acceptable. We'll see after a few rides.

gallery_20267_5459_4795.jpg

gallery_20267_5459_5932.jpg

gallery_20267_5459_42246.jpg

Not much change visually, still more room to go forward.

You're right! I jsut moved mine forward all the way and it's much better--more room. Thanks for the tip!

• 5 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I bought the smaller one (TPH-02) and it's perfect for short trips to hold iPhone, wallet, gloves, sun glasses. I may get the T480 for longer trips or for work related hardware and just share the mounting ring.post-23057-0-65577400-1314684523_thumb.j

post-23057-0-16881800-1314684466_thumb.j

• 10 months later...

I bought the smaller one (TPH-02) and it's perfect for short trips to hold iPhone, wallet, gloves, sun glasses. I may get the T480 for longer trips or for work related hardware and just share the mounting ring.post-23057-0-65577400-1314684523_thumb.j

Does this have a hole up front in the bag to run either headphones or a power cable? Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Imho, the givi is the best bag for the vfr. Love sw-motech, bought that bag first. A mistake. Expands from the bottom, therefore floppy unless you fill it. Second, you have to drill the base pad. Lastly, the mount is not as elegant as the givi setup. Highly recommend the gi vi tanklock bag.

Imho, the givi is the best bag for the vfr. Love sw-motech, bought that bag first. A mistake. Expands from the bottom, therefore floppy unless you fill it. Second, you have to drill the base pad. Lastly, the mount is not as elegant as the givi setup. Highly recommend the gi vi tanklock bag.

Great feedback, I too am deciding between Givi and Bags-Connection.

I had a few questions, was the BC bag the new style or old? They redesigned them this year and is using a stronger 1680 ballistic nylon. So I think they'll hold up better perhaps more stiffer?

I'm looking for a bag that'll hold an iPad inside and will also allow me to rest on/over it on road trips.

Anyone know if the Givi TPH 02 can hold an iPad and is comfortable to lean on? Does it have wire pass through holes?

Thanks for any help!

the 5th and 6th have the same filler cap, seems givi is getting lazy or just doesnt want to try on are decade old bikes

Thanks for the confirmation. That's what I was thinking, but surprised Givi didn't have list it as fitting the 5th gen.

I got my question answered from Twisted Throttle, the Give TPH 02 can NOT hold an iPad and does NOT have a pass through hole for wires.

I ordered me the new EVO Daypack and will write a review when it arrives! Thanks for the pics!

• Member Contributer

Does this have a hole up front in the bag to run either headphones or a power cable? Thanks!

Neither of the GIVI bags have a built in port for power cables (I also have the T480) but you can get the powerlet kit that has all of the pieces you need to DIY.

• Member Contributer

I got my question answered from Twisted Throttle, the Give TPH 02 can NOT hold an iPad and does NOT have a pass through hole for wires.

I ordered me the new EVO Daypack and will write a review when it arrives! Thanks for the pics!

With the larger T480 bag I was able to put my iPad2 under the top cover! Not sure if the newer version of the TPH02 or the T480 have the pass through, I know mine don't.

post-23057-0-70268100-1343098205.jpg

The little pen looking device above the logo is a stylus that allows you to use the iPad under the plastic cover with your gloves on. I keep is just inside the zipper i case I need to use the iPad (when stopped of course). One note, under the sun, the plastic cover acts like a green house and can over heat your iPhone/iPad. Even on the TPH-02. I had this happen to my iPhone several times and one time it took several minutes for the phone to cool down enough to use it. I only used the iPad once and that was for a long trip I took and I had the map quest app running.

• Member Contributer

Victor, the sw-motech i bought was the new version. Slightly lowered mounting setup compad to the original version, and heavier fabric.

Thanks for all the relies folks, I hope I get good results from the Bags-Connection tank bag, I like that it has the pass through and that I can fit my iPad inside. I'm not looking to keep the iPad in view, just in the luggage area. I only need that, keys, a note book and snack and water. But I do listen to my iPhone and I'm planning a long distance trip to L.A. soon and will need to keep my iPhone charged.

Thanks again for the responses! I'll post up my review soon.

Victor, the sw-motech i bought was the new version. Slightly lowered mounting setup compad to the original version, and heavier fabric.

What size did you get? I would prefer the Givi but I like the smaller size of the Daypack. I don't plan on ever using the expansion portion so I'm thinking it'll be sturdy for what I need it for. And worst case scenario is I can always return it and get the bigger Givi. Thanks for the reply!

Archived