Stator Winding and different options

Tightwad

Will a lot of recent chatter about how Stators work, and whether OEM or aftermarket is better, I was doing some reading and found this thread:

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/articles-honda-fireblade/76464-tutorial-how-rewind-smoked-charging-stator.html

Great how-to on rewinding your own stator (a lot of work!) and some explanation about the difference in winding methods (Delta vs WYE/Star). I do not completely understand them, nor can I say which is better (might as well be an oil thread to the EEs out there). I do know that Ricks uses the WYE winding, which he claims produces less amperage slightly, but is more reliable.

One big thing I learned...a low battery is death to a stator, as are bad connections and heavy electrical draws. I always assumed it was worse to shunt the excess, and that having electrical draws wouldn't be harmful as it would just be using the potential....not so. This should be a big clue to those out there with electrical problems to go through each connector and use a good cleaner/protector such as DeOxit.

Discoloration of the windings is normal due to the oil and the heat, but blistering/charring is not.

• Member Contributer

At this point I'm thinking the stator is a consumable item like tires, oil, brakes, batteries, etc. & I should just plan on replacing it every 50K or so. I run 65w headlights, and heated gear so adding that to the life it already leads (heat & vibration) it's not surprising that it wears out. Better to not wait until it actually dies as it can take other things with it when it does.

• Member Contributer

I don't know if you were on the "Big List" back when the VFR reg/rec conundrum first became apparent (mid-1990s), but at that time Rick's didn't exist (or at least was very tiny) and Electrex (now Electrosport) was the big aftermarket electrical component supplier in the market. The US Electrex distributor was run by a Dutch guy (I think) who was pretty tuned in to the VFR crowd's concerns and worked with us for a while on solving the problem. During that process the stator's windings were investigated and I believe Electrex came out with a new, wye-wound stator in place of the OEM's delta-wound stator design. It was supposed to be "the answer", but soon even the brand new wye-wound stators were biting the dust (along with the Electrex reg/recs), and it wasn't long after that when Honda released its re-designed MOSFET reg/recs and Electrex kind of faded from the scene. It's somewhat amusing to hear that someone else now thinks the style of the stator's windings is (again) the source of the problem... :blink:

Ciao,

Archived