Fuel Mileage on an oldie

smackdoogle

• Member Contributer

Just want to see what other VF1000/VFKR owners are getting for gas mileage. I'm upper 20's to low 30's depending on throttle control. I'm assuming that isn't what it should be.

Your numbers sound in the ballpark. I get mid - low 30's....

Consider cleaning the carbs and a quick sync.

• Member Contributer

Just want to see what other VF1000/VFKR owners are getting for gas mileage. I'm upper 20's to low 30's depending on throttle control. I'm assuming that isn't what it should be.

Hmmm. Usually, I find that the motorcycle listings at www.fuelly.com are helpful. However, I only see one listed on www.fuelly.com - a vf1000r which has gotten an average of 33 mpg over only four fill-ups.

Maybe (?) that helps.

Good luck,

Ron

• Member Contributer

Upper 20`s to 30`s sounds about right. Definitely depends on throttle control.

• Member Contributer

Man Had No Idea They Used That Much Gas !!!!!!!!!!!

People often forget how much more energy per charge we get out of modern engines, thanks to advances in injection and ignition. More usable energy per charge of air/fuel means more power, which means the ability to reduce consumption for the same riding scenario.

Just wait till we have GDI engines on bikes, and laser ignition! Although I suspect laser ignition might get introduced right as we start to seriously move away from oil.

I'm actually looking forward to an electric bike. The last two years of flying electric RC planes with three-phase brushless motors and Lithium battery technology has made me much more receptive to the idea.

I had no idea the big bikes got such low mileage....

All year I've been fighting decreasing mileage in my '05 Concours, my "NinjaBego." With no car, this bike is the grocery-getter do-all motorcycle for winter. It got down to 31 mpg and I was pulling my hair out. I could be driving a car with a cup holder and a radio and a heater for that!

Turned out to be fuel venting from the overflow tubes on the carbs. A clear line attached to all four of them and curled into a "P" trap, with a little engine oil in the tube, stopped the evaporation and I'm back to 40+.

Did the big 1000 have the overflow tubes?

• 1 year later...

bad milage on these bikes is typical. the EPA rated my '85 750 at 14mpg city and 19mpg highway... might as well just roll up my paper money and stuff it down the carbs directly :P

Archived