Another 5th gen electrical failure

Crewwolfy

So after digging my way back into the grounding block, everything looks fine. I'd sprayed it down with the aerosol wire cleaner stuff just before putting the prongs back in before. This time, I went in and scratched up the block connectors with a paper clip, while taking a brass brush to the prongs. Reinstalled, tested, FI light and dead speedo .. Suggestions?

imag0133f.jpg

So after digging my way back into the grounding block, everything looks fine. I'd sprayed it down with the aerosol wire cleaner stuff just before putting the prongs back in before. This time, I went in and scratched up the block connectors with a paper clip, while taking a brass brush to the prongs. Reinstalled, tested, FI light and dead speedo .. Suggestions?

imag0133f.jpg

I still think the block connector is a good candidate (assuming the actual connectors to the front of the bike are intact). Consider using pins, one on either side of the connector, one for each side of the same wire, and test the ohm resistance across the connector. Just stick the pin through the sheath into the wire. I'm not sure what the ohm number should be. Hopefully someone can say. I can't anything of any other joint electrical area shared by the FI light and speedo. Sorry.

Here's a photo of the box labels:

imag0132v.jpg

I have no idea what it fits, but as you already know it doesn't fit a 1998-1999 VFR. As far as I can tell it doesn't fit ANY VFR

• Member Contributer

What about the speedo and FI light/hesitation?

These might be two unrelated problems. Check your speedo sender to make sure the plastic cup is engaging the sprocket nut, and not slipping. You can see it if you look in toward the countershaft sprocket just above the chain guard. If it's slipping you can try some silicone on it before you spring for a new one. That did the trick on my GF's bike.

These might be two unrelated problems. Check your speedo sender to make sure the plastic cup is engaging the sprocket nut, and not slipping. You can see it if you look in toward the countershaft sprocket just above the chain guard. If it's slipping you can try some silicone on it before you spring for a new one. That did the trick on my GF's bike.

Checking the shop manual, the speedo has its own troubleshooting steps. I'll walk through these things, see if I can't isolate the issue. Thanks for the tip.

Well there's your problem!

imag0141p.jpg

Words escape me... Anybody that likes their bike's previous owner, please raise your hand...

Sigh.. To the soldering iron..

What line is that?

It would be the speed sensor. Fortunately this is on the sensor side of the connection, not the harness side.

Also found a loose connection on one taped wire at the ICM. I'll check that connection as well; if it's no good, it may be a/the source of the FI light issue.

Can't blame this one on Honda wiring...

• Member Contributer

Words escape me... Anybody that likes their bike's previous owner, please raise your hand...

Somebody didn't understand wiring integrity that's for sure. The guy I bought my bike from was a nice guy, and the bike was squeaky-clean. I don't think he did his own wrenching though.

• Member Contributer

In regard to grounding - On my early 70's Triumph I have followed the common wisdom of many who went before me and grounded every add on, or OEM electrical component that had a questionable connection, directly to the battery or to a grounding post connected directly to the battery. Yesterday I finished fitting A VFRness, R/R w/ fan and a switched fuse panel to my 2000 VFR and followed the same procedure. Is there any reason NOT to ground directly to the battery? Grounding to the battery would seem to eliminate any potential for a less than perfect ground somewhere else on the bike, and you only have one place to check should a grounding issue seem to be the problem.

Cable is soldered, wrapped and taped. I'm back to loading up miles on the odometer. All appears well for the moment. Thanks for all the tips.

That's great, but that fixed the speedo problem, only, correct? I recall a FI light issue, though I suppose it's possible they were connected and the light issue's also resolved. Keep us posted!

That's great, but that fixed the speedo problem, only, correct? I recall a FI light issue, though I suppose it's possible they were connected and the light issue's also resolved. Keep us posted!

Correct, I haven't done anything yet to fix an FI light issue. But I also haven't had it pop on at all the past couple days. Haven't changed my route, either. Can't explain this one.. There is a suspect wire going into the ICM, however. A bit longer than the others, with some electrical tape on it. Honestly, I've been afraid to touch it, since the light's stayed off.

imag0144c.jpg

Stupid hi-res phone cameras making the dirt just pop out of the picture... It's a little hard to make out at first, but there's a wrapped wire between the two looms. Cross-referencing the wiring diagram, this appears to lead to the B14 port, which goes to the TP Sensor (?). I'm guessing there's a loose connection under that wrap, and anytime the circuit breaks, I get the FI light. No garage, so soldering this puppy will have to wait a bit. But after repositioning the two looms (left-over-right instead of left-under-right), that one wire seems pretty firmly placed, and unlikely to often unset. I will get to it, eventually...

That's my educated guess, anyway.

• Member Contributer
I will get to it, eventually...

If that's the work of the same perp who did the speed sensor wiring that's likely the culprit, and you should probably take care of it sooner rather than later.

Honda really dropped the ball on the VFR wiring. Guess they were trying to save weight/money, but they sure created a lot of headaches for us owners. Anything you can do to preserve the integrity of the wiring will save you a lot of problems down the road.

I'll probably take a peek in there this weekend, see what it needs. But whatever Honda missed on the electrical side, they certainly made up for with the engine. :) Thankfully everyone here's sharing their secrets for improving the wiring system so we can negate that oversight.

Archived