Can someone test a PC II for me?

MuddDawg

• Member Contributer

Anyone with a 5th Gen in the local Seattle/Tacoma are willing test out a PC-II for me. I can't seem to get it to work for me and would like to verify its not my bike. The problem I am having is at 3000 RPM the bike will die unless you feather the throttle when you get near that RPM.

I don't want to go back to the seller and tell him it doesn't work unless I fully test it.

Once on the bike it should only take 10 minutes to test.

Thank you

Scott

• Member Contributer

Several points to check:

1. Is the right model for your bike?

2. Will the bike run fine without it?

3. If the bike runs okay without it, you may need a different map. You can download them from the site.

I'd help if I could, but I'm in Missouri and it's cold here. :)

• Member Contributer

Several points to check:

1. Is the right model for your bike?

3. If the bike runs okay without it, you may need a different map. You can download them from the site.

I'd help if I could, but I'm in Missouri and it's cold here. :)

I bought this from a guy whom had it on a 5th gen. Even the quicker and smoother yellow one.

I have loaded several maps including a Zero map and I have the same results.

I mistakenly put USB maps on it, then put PC-II Serial maps on it and it acts that exact same.

Dynojet was of no help to me as I called them.

• Member Contributer

I think he might mean does it run ok with the PCII completely removed - not just with a zero map? In other words, did it run ok prior to the install of the PCII? Another thing could be a bad connection - frayed wire, plug not fully seated, power connection to the batt., etc.

• Member Contributer

I think he might mean does it run ok with the PCII completely removed - not just with a zero map? In other words, did it run ok prior to the install of the PCII? Another thing could be a bad connection - frayed wire, plug not fully seated, power connection to the batt., etc.

Sorry about that

Runs fine without PC

Its been in and out a couple times, checked pins and all look good. I will look at the wires on the PC.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Sorry about that

Runs fine without PC

Its been in and out a couple times, checked pins and all look good. I will look at the wires on the PC.

Resurrecting this post. I checked the wiring and it looks fine. Anyone willing to test this for me. I can pay shipping to and from. It is currently a wall ornament.

It came off a working bike and was working fine when he pulled it off his bike.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Update to my troubleshooting.

y2kRC46 and I installed the Power Commander on his bike and it works fine with a Zero map.

We put it back on my bike and it stalls at 3K still, but only tested (this time) with the Zero map.

We put his ECU into my bike and it still Stalls at 3k.

At this point we think the PC is good to go.

We think my ECU is good.

I currently have the Resistors installed in my bike, but I don't think these are the problem since the bike stalls only when the PC is installed.

Two things on the list to try now.

1. Seafoam the bike and do an injector clean as mine seems a little lethargic below 4k. y2kRC46 did the 1/2 a can of Seafoam trick to his and it made a large improvement in the performance.

2. Starter Valve Sync. I have not done one in the 30k I have put on the bike. I have noticed that after took up some of the slop in the throttle cable and made it about 1/4" the bike doesn't start as easily as it used to prior to this adjustment. On a cold start I have to start it a couple times before it will Idle, and after it warms up it idles around 1800 rpm.

Does anyone think that the starter valves being out of sync might cause the bike to go to lean at 3k and make it stall like an electrical shut down?

The symptoms again are at 3k the engine just shuts off like I hit the power switch, and as it goes below or above 3k it gets the power back again like I turned on the power. This only happens with the Power commander installed and only on my bike.

Thanks

Mudddawg.

• Member Contributer

BTT

Hoping someone can help a fellow VFRer out with my theories.

• Member Contributer

I uninstalled my PCII when it fuzzed and started dumping tonnes of fuel through the bike.

It wouldn't hurt to try a sync and reset the idle.

Check the air filter.

Plugs.

My only advice if those don't work is to leave it off and let that Honda think for itself :mellow:

• Member Contributer

I thought about leaving it off, but its sad to see it just hanging on the wall in the shop. As far as letting it think for itself, I would if mother Honda would of made it not surge. Then again a little surge is better then it cutting out at 3k as I slow down for off ramps, stop signs, stop lights and small animals and children.

I am sure I could use a new air filter, but the bike doesn't do it without the PC installed.

Plugs were replaced about 10k ago and the factory ones were fine, so I kept as spares.

Thanks for helping me think thru this.

• Member Contributer

I thought about leaving it off, but its sad to see it just hanging on the wall in the shop.

Yeah yell me about it.

I have had the cutting out when slowing down before... many years ago.

The solution for me was to tidy up the battery terminals and refit the connections (thought the battery was moving under braking)

And I also up'ed the idle. Never happened again. Dunno if this was truely what was wrong :comp13:

I would like to know what causes the surge when the PCII is disconnected? And the stalling when you tried the other ecu (by itself)?

• Member Contributer

I thought about leaving it off, but its sad to see it just hanging on the wall in the shop.

Yeah yell me about it.

The solution for me was to tidy up the battery terminals and refit the connections (thought the battery was moving under braking)

And I also up'ed the idle. Never happened again. Dunno if this was truely what was wrong :comp13:

I would like to know what causes the surge when the PCII is disconnected? And the stalling when you tried the other ecu (by itself)?

My bike just surges a slight bit in parking lots, I hear its very common and thats why most folks buy Power Commander to get rid of that surge.

I did not try the ECU by itself, it tried it with the PC and it did stall. So that ruled out my ECU.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Yeah yell me about it.

My bike just surges a slight bit in parking lots, I hear its very common and thats why most folks buy Power Commander to get rid of that surge.

I did not try the ECU by itself, it tried it with the PC and it did stall. So that ruled out my ECU.

We did the Starter valve sync and it helped the starting.

The injectors must of been partially clogged as the Seafoam helped the bike run stronger on the low end.

I put the Power Commander back in and its still doing it. I tried multiple maps and any time I get near 2750-3000 its like hitting the rev limiter and it just cuts out until it drops below 2750 and its back on.

The bike does it with a load and without ( aka sitting in drive way, in neutral and just giving it throttle until it hits 2750 ish.

It didn't seem to do it on the other bike.

Grounds? If it was a grounding issue it would happen without the power commander.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Yeah yell me about it.

We did the Starter valve sync and it helped the starting.

The injectors must of been partially clogged as the Seafoam helped the bike run stronger on the low end.

I put the Power Commander back in and its still doing it. I tried multiple maps and any time I get near 2750-3000 its like hitting the rev limiter and it just cuts out until it drops below 2750 and its back on.

The bike does it with a load and without ( aka sitting in drive way, in neutral and just giving it throttle until it hits 2750 ish.

It didn't seem to do it on the other bike.

Grounds? If it was a grounding issue it would happen without the power commander.

I had a similar issue when I put a factory-new PC-II in my yellow '00 in 2005. Turns out the "ignition side" of the PC-II (whatever...) was not working correctly and the factory had me send it back. Their "fix" was to disable the ignition side of the PC-II, after which the bike quit cutting out under certain just-off-idle conditions. It would actually quit running for a second or two, often when in the middle of an intersection or some other perfect place.

You might call DynoJet and see if this is what they think. After that fix, the mid-range flat spot disappeared with a little map massage and it runs beautifully. Had to change all the 9s to 8s in the map to make the FI light quit coming on. Dynojet said that was the norm for bikes living right at sea level.

I'm glad I persevered. Good luck! BTW, we will be in Boise on the GS in late July.....

Archived