Aerostich Kanetsu Electrics

dutchinterceptor

• Member Contributer

I'm considering ditching my Gerbings liner for just a vest. I do live in Texass after all so it rarely stays cold for very long.

Anybody using the Kanetsu gear? Thoughts, disappointments, opinions??

• Member Contributer

Use my Stich vest on all my bikes. I just have an on/off switch which works fine.

The vest is more than adequate for spring/summer/fall use in the Mountains. Winter in San Diego tooooooooooo.

Get a full liner if you are doing serious multiple day tours in cold weather.

• Member Contributer

I've got a full liner, although it's an older style than what they've got now. Run it inside a Darien with a Warm 'n' Safe Heatroller.

I am not thrilled with its heat output. If it's real cold, I'll put it under a sweater, which helps. But square inch per square inch, it's definitely not as warm as my (even older) Widder vest.

• Member Contributer

sell me your gerbing for cheap, please. Its farking cold here.

Sorry, my fellow flat black rider but it's already spoken for otherwise I'd gladly send it your way. Looks like you definitely need it.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I'm shying away from extended cold weather trips and just want something small that I can keep handy. I bought a Tourmaster vest without the collar and it was the wrong size so I sent it back. It didn't look very durable and with all the controller problems I never reordered one in my size.

Aerostich makes some nice products and thought I'd give them a shot but can't find many reviews on the net.

Wonder if they're newer stuff is imported or actually US built?

sell me your gerbing for cheap, please. Its farking cold here.

Sorry, my fellow flat black rider but it's already spoken for otherwise I'd gladly send it your way. Looks like you definitely need it.

Its the thought that counts.

• Member Contributer

I have a new Stitch AirVantage full liner...works great so far.

• Member Contributer

I have a new Stitch AirVantage full liner...works great so far.

The thought process behind the design is good but don't you feel just a little silly blowing into your jacket? :goofy:

Does it hold the air or eventually leak off?

• Member Contributer

I'm considering ditching my Gerbings liner for just a vest. I do live in Texass after all so it rarely stays cold for very long.

Anybody using the Kanetsu gear? Thoughts, disappointments, opinions??

I've had the fleece, non-airvantage, Kanetsu vest for quite a while (5+ years). I don't use it often (Alabama), but I'm happy with it when I do use it. Notes about my use of it:

• I'm in Alabama. So what works for me may not work for someone in Michigan.
  • I just use the standard weatherproof on/off switch. (Before I got my Kanetsu vest, I got one for my wife, and I got the heat-troller for her. She said that she rarely used the intermediate settings, so I did not get the heat-troller for mine. I don't miss it.)
  • I previously had an Eclipse electric vest. The heat output on that got wonky within a few years of use (with either a standard on/off switch or with the Eclipse variable thermostat), so I was hoping to replace/improve upon it. The Aerostich vest has worked better for me.
  • The Aerostich vest does a good job of keeping me warm in part because I ordered it in a snug fit, so that I wear it over only 1 or 2 thin shirts. If I had gotten it baggy/loose, it would not do as good a job of keeping me warm. (I suspect that may possibly be the problem some have with the heated liners - they tend to be looser & worn over other layers, and thus away from the torso, which is what needs to feel the heat.)
  • I splurged the extra for the zipoff sleeves, too. They are NOT heated, but they almost make it look/feel like a "jacket" when kicking around off the bike. The lack of any handwarmer pockets are the only indication that this is not a "jacket", but that same lack of extra pockets helps it to back down smaller when not needed.
  • Mine does say "made in USA" - but, again, that was over 5 years ago. I doubt that's changed, but if that matters to you, ask when you call to place your order.

Would I buy another one? Yes, it works for me.

HTH,

Ron

• Member Contributer

So far the air stays in the liner...the valve is pretty simple so letting out the air is a snap if you want to do so. The only thing I find is that if you fill the bladders all of the way up it makes it harder to turn your head for lane changes and it makes it harder to sit upright.

With a bit less air than the maximum, no problems at all. It's also quite warm without any air at all.

Archived